37. Is your Pulse Working, my Love?

Start from the beginning

Oh, Lilly, don't be so overdramatic! Silence is just lack of noise. You can't honestly pretend to know this one sounds different from another, can you?

Shaking my head, I shoved my anxious thoughts aside. This was no time to be suspicious! What dire plans could Mr Ambrose be hatching, after all? He had just come rescue me. He loved me. He might even – with a little persuasion – give me a day off now and again. What could he possibly be plotting?

*~*~**~*~*

'Miss Linton?'

'Mmmh...'

'Miss Linton, wake up.'

'Nnnn. Nnmmph.'

'Wake up, Miss Linton.'

'Nmmm...'

'Mr Linton, wake up right now! That is an order!'

My head snapped up. 'Yes, Sir! Which file do you need, Sir? I– oh.'

Blinking, I took out the winter landscape rushing past around us. Over the thunder of hooves, I heard a choked sound from the left. I threw a suspicious glance at Karim, who had his lower face hidden behind one big paw. The corners of his eyes were suspiciously crinkled.

'What is the matter?' I yawned, stretching my arms and half turning to glance up at Mr Ambrose. 'Getting tired of holding me, were you?'

'No. We have arrived.'

'Arrived? I don't see–'

Just then, we crested the last hill and before us stretched the magnificent sight of the Battlewood Hall. I sucked in a breath. Of course, I had known that Battlewood was magnificent before, but only from up here, seeing its glory in entirety, could I truly appreciate the beauty of the place.

'It's magnificent,' I whispered.

'It is acceptable.' Mr Ambrose's voice was cool and detached. 'Though not as large as my private country house.'

I nearly fell off the horse.

'You have a country house?'

'Why so surprised, Miss Linton?'

'Because maintaining those things is more expensive than paying King Midas' annual tax bill!'

'Oh, I have found a way to make things a little more profitable.'

I would have pounced on that and demanded more information if not, at that very moment, a shout had sounded from the manor steps.

'Rick! Miss Linton!'

That voice! Was that...

My eyes flicked to the direction the shout had come from.

Yes!

A grin spreading over my face, I jumped down from the horse and, not paying any heed to Mr Ambrose's protests, raced down the hill towards the small figure running up towards me caring not in the least if her dress got wet or muddy. A moment later, I slammed into Adaira Louise Jannet Melanie Georgette Ambrose, daughter of the The Most Honourable The Marquess Ambrose, and hugged her so tightly I probably risked squeezing the breath out of her. Oh, how I had missed this girl!

'Miss Linton! Oh God, Miss Linton I'm so glad you're safe!'

And she, apparently, had missed me.

'There, there,' I muttered, wiping her tears away. 'Don't do that at this temperature! You'll turn into an ice sculpture.'

She hiccupped, giggled, and pulled out a handkerchief to blow her nose.

To heck with my plans to become friends with this girl! We already were. End of story.