22. Conducting Business

Cautiously, I crooked a finger. His iron hands were still pinning my wrists to the wall. I could hardly move an inch. Still, I managed to just reach the tips of his fingers and stroke, gently, once.

He twitched under my touch.

Careful, Lilly. Careful. One wrong move, and Captain Carter will find himself chained in the hold of a frigate bound for Beijing.

'You don't really want to do that,' I said softly, continuing to stroke his hand. With every touch, his grip loosened infinitesimally. 'You don't really want to do something that callous and heartless.'

He returned my gaze with a stare so icy it nearly broke my resolve. Leaning forward, he brought his face near enough that I could feel his breath on my cheek. 'Do you know what happened to the last man who tried to manipulate me, Mr Linton?'

'Something unpleasant, I'd guess. But you forget something, Sir.'

'Indeed?'

'Yes, Sir,' I said, my eyes sparking with fire, 'I am not a man!'

And, throwing myself forward, I kissed him.

If he had taken me by surprise with his earlier attack, it was nothing to what I did to him. His grip around my wrists instinctively tightened, until it was almost painful. His whole body jerked as my lips took his, claiming what was rightfully mine. But the shock didn't last long. After only a few seconds, his hands released my wrists, coming up around me to pull me against him. Hard muscle pressed into me, caging me in just as securely as the wall had a moment before.

And what did I do?

I kissed him. I kissed and kissed and kissed for all I was worth, utilising every trick I knew, and a few I didn't. Inwardly, I sent a thousand thanks to Amy, to whom I owed ninety per cent of my expertise. God bless prostitutes! Unless, of course, one of them ever got it into her head to come too close to the man currently clutching me in his arms and kissing the life out of me...

'Lillian...' His voice was a rough whisper against my lips, unused to saying my name out loud. 'Lillian, I...'

'Shh.' I silenced him with another kiss. And another. And another. Slowly, my fingers trailed down to the front of his shirt, popping open the top button, and I spoke words to Mr Rikkard Ambrose that I would never have thought necessary: 'No need for talking now.'

He groaned his agreement. Another searing cold hot hard soft kiss. Another button popping open. Tightening his grip, he pulled me off my feet. I saw the room fly by, and then there was softness, and warmth against my back. A sofa? He settled us down, deepening his kiss. I popped another button, revealing taut, hard muscles. Gently, my fingers began stroking along his collarbone, eliciting a shiver. He was nearly there. Nearly at the edge. Just where I wanted him.

Drawing back my fingers, I broke the kiss.

He stared down at me, blinking.

'Now is the time for talking,' I informed him. 'What do you think of a little business negotiation?'

'Business...negotiation?'

'Yes. It's simple, really. Just a tiny little thing.'

His eyes narrowed infinitesimally. 'What do you want?'

'No need to be so suspicious.' Playfully, I trailed my lips along his neck. He didn't even flinch. Impressive. But I could see it in eyes: he was burning. Burning with cold, ice-blue fire. 'It's really not much.'

'What. Do. You. Want?'

You could have frozen lava with his voice. Ignoring old frosty's mood, I smiled up at him. 'Simple. You leave Captain Carter alone for one day – and in return, you get this.'