Chapter Twenty: They Followed Us

Start from the beginning

Bennett parked the car with ease, right in front of the cafe at an empty lot. The pink beetle swerved to a stop and began to parallel park right behind us. Suddenly we felt a sudden bump, jerking us forward in the car. Bennett's eyes widened and he whipped his head around.

"Tell me she did not just-"

"Sorry Benny!" A shrilly voice called out.

Bennett sighed and began to repeatedly bang his head on the steering wheel. Everyone gave him a pat on the back and left the car. Bennett reluctantly got out too, to see the damages of his car. He slammed the car door and walked over to the rear end of his car. He took a deep breath and exhaled when he saw it. The was a pretty big on the dent of his white Subaru, with the registration plate hanging helplessly on one side. I bit my lip and looked at Bennett. His bangs covered his eyes so I couldn't see them. His fists were clenched, looking as if I want to hit something.

Suddenly Abby came out of nowhere and jumped him for a hug. The force surprised Bennett in Abby's death grip. He looked down at the blonde that was practically holding on to him for dear life. Her body was pressed dangerously close to him, one arm hung around his neck while the other touched his cheek that made Bennett shudder.

"I'm so sorry Benny," Abby cooed, "It was an accident, I swear. I promise I'll make it up to you. Just give me the word and I'll-"

Bennett slowly pried Abby off of him and shoved his hands into his pockets. "It's Bennett, just Bennett. And you don't have to to do anything, please." He actually begged her to not do anything.

Abby was about to say something but Bennett beat her to it. Before she could say anything, he took his phone out of his pocket, dialed a number and put it up to his ear.

"Hey Roy? Yeah, it's Bennett," he said to the phone. "Yeah, I got a little accident here-" he said accident with a low growl "- Uh huh, yup. Can you pick it up and switch with another? Nothing too fancy, I don't want anymore accidents on my favorite cars. Get me the Altima. No, not the blue one, the red. Yeah, that one. Okay, I'm at Sunset Avenue and 21st street. The keys will be in the car, thanks." He hung up and looked back at us.

All seven of us awkwardly stood there on the street. Bennett cleared his throat and asked us.

"So, are we going to just stand here or head into the place?"

In unison, we all looked up to the cafe. It was called The Mad Hatter, with the logo of a top hat next to it. Honestly, it looks like a simple cafe, but a nice one. I glanced at the guys who wore small smiles, probably liking just the sound of the cafe. I then looked at the girls who were the exact opposite, wearing doubtful frowns with furrowed well-trimmed eyebrows. One by one we entered the cafe, with hungry stomachs and curious eyes.

Abby made a face. "It's so... bland."

I didn't have the courage to disagree with her. To me, the cafe is nothing but bland. It had bright red and white walls, with black and white ceramic tiles in a checkerboard pattern. There were wooden tables for four, some for only two. Paintings hung on the walls, all with the illustrations I've recognize in the book, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. There were floor to ceiling windows with red curtain open to shed in the light. There were a few people in the cafe, some couples, one group of friends, and a few people by themselves who were eating on the counter. But even with the few customers, the cafe seemed lively. The customers were talking with one another with the other staff. The place was both simple and great, I was absolutely in love with this cafe.

"Hello!" Someone piped up.

We turned and saw a guy, an employee here. He looks around our age, maybe even older. He had bright green eyes behind his black framed glasses, curly brown hair and wore a cheery grin. He had a skinny frame, but pretty tall, probably as tall as Bennett. He wore a uniform of a burgundy button down, with the sleeves rolled up, he had black pants on and a black apron over it with the cafe logo at the front.