The Monarch's Suitor

Start from the beginning

"Alright," I agreed, and from that point, he'd had our official planning committee organize an event to be attended by all of the kingdom. It wasn't that I didn't want to marry, for I did, but it was the idea that once I married, Theodore would leave that frightened me.

I watched as the guests piled in, stumbling to their seats and filling their eyes with the wonder as they caught sight of the high ceilings and extravagant paintings that seemed so commonplace to me. Most were peasants, wearing their finest suits, and some seemed a bit too young to be here.

"Please," I instructed a herald, "make sure that no young men under the age of eighteen shall be let inside of the palace. This is simply a feast for adults."

"As you wish, your majesty," he bowed. "Although, I must say... the palace is filling up quite quickly. How will you be able to eat every man that sets foot inside?"

I thought for a moment. "Only let men between the ages of eighteen and thirty stay," I commanded. "And then close the palace gates."

"That seems a bit unfair, your majesty," the herald gave his opinion, but when I glared at him, he added, "but of course I'd do anything for my queen."

After a few minutes, I was seated on my throne as the banquet was being laid out, and I heard the announcement ring out loud and clear. I kept my face tight and still as shouts of anger and accusations started flying through the air. Hundreds of men were dismissed, some being carried out in fits of rage by royal guards.

The remaining men stared disbelievingly at the scene around us, some with giddy smiles painted on their faces.

The food was served shortly after that, with mounds of delicacies being poured out onto the tables. I observed the men eating, noting that only about a hundred fifty were left.

"Anastasia, may I say something?" Theodore asked me.

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to let you know that this is a very small percentage of men remaining. Most of the men were dismissed, and many could not make it here, as the transportation was too cumbersome," he informed me.

"I'm aware. But this narrows down my options, now doesn't it," I said.

He shrugged and stepped back. "I will say that most of my men that I wanted for you to meet are still present, though," he smiled.

I gave him a nod, and he walked back to his seat. I could already pick out some of the men that weren't going to make the cut, not even for the ones that I was narrowing down my count to. I'd decided that I select a few to step aside, and those couple of men, I'd share a dance with to decide on my final option.

Once I had finished my meal, I gave a quick clap, and the men at the nearest table, one filled with the nobles, became dead silent. Many others didn't notice, but Theodore came back over with a few of his friends. My head maid stood by my side, grinning at each of these young men and ducking her head as they arrived. There were three in total.

"Sister, may I introduce you to my men here?" Theodore asked.

"Why yes, of course!" I exclaimed.

"Well," he pointed to the farthest one from him, "here with me I've got our best general, General Wyatt T. Howe. Then I've got our nation's finest jouster, Sir Edward of Valsdale. And then right here," he said with a grin, rustled the closest man's hair, "we've got the noblest of nobles, the greatest saint of all, my buddy Francois."

"No favoritism, Theodore," I joked.

Francois smiled back and shook my hand. "Pleasure to see you again, your majesty," he greeted me with a nod, before bending down to kiss my fingers delicately. It sent a shiver of warmth through me.