The Monarch's Suitor

"Anastasia, darling, Anastasia!" the maid's voice shouted at me. "Wake up, dear! This is a very important day! You cannot put it off!"

Her voice was like a bird, chirping and shrieking at me, high pitched and aggravating. Her red curls danced like ladybugs before my eyes, my vision still groggy and blurry. She skipped around the room, haphazardously throwing bits of fabric here and there, herding the others and directing them towards their assigned tasks.

"Stop!" I shouted, and they all ceased to move in an instant, standing at attention.

"Yes, your majesty?" one of the girls curtsied at my bedside.

"Ladies, please give me some more time to adjust rather than disturbing my awakening at the sound of your ruckus!" I instructed.

"But my queen, you must get ready right away. Tonight is very important, and the prince is outside waiting on your arrival," the girl informed me.

"I guess," I conformed, throwing the sheets off of me and stretching my legs. I stood up and the women directed me to my vanity, next to my large closet of dresses. They primped and prodded, dashing me with a light bit of blush and mascara. Then they smoothed on some eyeliner and stroked through my golden hair with a brush, combing it until it was free of any tangles.

"Can you remind me why today is necessary?" I asked the maid.

"Why darling, your brother discussed it with you. You're hosting this feast to find a suitable hand in marriage!" she shoved an earring in my ear.

"Yes, I know. But why must I marry now?" I asked.

"Now that you are the reigning monarch, you must have an heir to the throne! What if something disastrous were to occur? What would become of the nation then?" she replied. "Twenty-two is a ripe and tender age to marry. I don't see why you shouldn't be excited! After all, you can choose from any man in the whole nation. Any woman would kill to be you!"

They dressed me up in the proper clothing that a queen would wear- a grand, frilly pink dress with a satin bow in the back, and long, pointy shoes that made me stand three inches taller off of the ground. I had a tiara seated on my head, and when I entered the ballroom at dusk, arm linked to that of my brother's, I felt as elegant as I should.

"You're absolutely dazzling tonight," he whispered.

"Why thank you, little brother," I replied with a giggle.

Prince Theodore was only a year younger, always the more political one in the family. He was always organizing the events, always speaking with the legislature on my behalf. Everything had to be run passed me, of course. Any new bills, I dictated whether or not they would serve our country good, but not once had I formally disagreed with my brother's opinion on them so far.

It was he who changed the public's view on who royalty could marry, and it was he who had been the first to marry a commoner a year prior. Theodore was my greatest advisor, and we all thought of him as the secret ruler of the country, hidden beneath my public image, but he'd arranged this feast now that he was becoming a bit tired of all of the politics.

"You should find a man that can help you, Anastasia. You need somebody that can be by your side every step of the way. You need somebody to help you govern properly, not to be a figurehead," he had explained.

"Why can't you just be by my side?" I asked him. "You seem to be doing a fine job."

"Because Anastasia, I was just never destined to rule. Unless you meet an unfortunate fate, I will never be king. There's absolutely no way. And it wouldn't be fair to the public if they continued to have a prince as their leader. Besides, I've got a life of my own now. I am trying to settle down in the countryside with my new wife. In a few years, you may have a new niece or nephew. I just cannot keep being here without any regards to my own family," he had said.