Chapter Fifteen

Y/n POV

Dazai and I walked in silence to work together the next day. As much as I wanted to ask him about last night, I didn't. I wasn't supposed to have heard him say that.

Right before we were to enter the office, Dazai put out his arm, stopping me.

I sent him a questioning look.

"Will you ever forgive me?" he asked sadly.

I hadn't realized I was being that transparent. Ah well...

"I don't know." I said, pushing past him and through the door, "I'm trying."

"Dazai, Y/n-chan," came Kida-san's angry voice, "You're late. We have to hurry, the boss has asked us to investigate a man eating tiger that has been terrorizing nearby towns."

Jackpot.

"Am I coming too?" I asked, feigning confusion.

"Yes." responded Kida-san, "it will be your first mission."

"okay."

We had been wandering the streets of Yokohama for hours with nothing to do.

With a sigh, I leaned on the barrier of the bridge we were crossing, looking down at the turbulent water.

"What a pretty river." Dazai remarked from beside me.

In one swift movement, he threw himself over the barrier.

"Osa-san!" I yelled.

Kida-san turned to face me as I jumped into the river after him.

Atsushi POV

I fell onto the ground with a crash, hunger taking over my every nerve. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten and I had no money to change that.

"I'm going to die of hunger." I said aloud.

Since I had been driven out of the orphanage, I had had no home, no food... no nothing. It had just been me, on my own.

Traveling from town to town, trying to get by.

I was not brave enough to steal. I had not talents so, could not find a job. I was essentially, utterly worthless.

I punched the ground in frustration, slowly lifting myself up.

The words that the owners of the orphanage had said echoed around my brain.

"Shut up." I yelled, jumping to my feet, "SHUT UP! Die in a ditch? I'm not gonna die. I'm gonna live, no matter what it takes. Okay... I'll... I'll rush the next person that comes along and rob them of everything they've got!"

I turned around and pinned my eyes on the nearby road.

A guy on a motorcycle zoomed past me.

"Well, that was mission impossible." I stated to no one because, no one was there, "I can't catch him on an empty stomach. NEXT!"

A herd of military trainees marched past at high speed.

"I.. I doubt military police would be carrying their wallets during training. BUt, the next person who comes along, for sure."

I heard a splash.

"I've got this!" I yelled, turning around to see a pair of legs drifting down the river.

"Well... I can't possibly count him..."

Another figure came into my line of sight, a girl quickly swimming after the drowning person.