Chapter Fifty Four

Y/n POV

Things had only continued to deteriorate since my conversation with Atsushi. Dazai had been shot, both the president of the agency and Mori had been poisoned by some crazy ability, everything had gone to shit in the past week. Through it all, Ryu and I continued our careful avoidance of the topic. Our relationship had somewhat returned to its previous condition, but we could both feel the barrier I had created between us by what I had said that night.

There was an attacker on the lose, killing gifted indiscriminately. Ryu had even come face to face with him at one point. He refused to give any details about the situation, other than that it was a closer call, he didn't want me going up against him, and that it was a devil we had fought before.

He used those exact words when he told me 'a devil I've fought before.'

Given the circumstances, it made sense that Atsushi had not been able to hold up his end of our deal. I didn't blame him for the creeping feeling that still lingered in me, growing stronger every day. I didn't blame him for the need.

Now, the detective agency was after out boss and we were after theirs. It was the only way this would end, the enemy was pitting us against each other. I hated it.

I stood beside the crouched Chuuya, Ryu on his other side and a handful of others fanning out from us. 

"One by one, or should we go all at once?" my executive asked the Agency members lined up to protect their keeper.

They stared stonily back at us, completely silent.

"Well?" Chuuya asked, standing himself back up, "I don't mind either way."

Suddenly, one by one, the Agency members disappear.

"It's Tanazaki's ability, Light Snow." I stated and soon, he was the only one left guarding the door, "They're after the Boss!"

"Kenji-kun broke through the wall and took the President." Tankizaki revealed, "The President and the Agency members already left a long time ago."

"You sacrificed your life to deceive the ambush and give the others time to escape." Ryu stated, taking a step forward.

Tanizaki slowly raised his hands in surrender.

"I haven't given up my life, I have a message from Rampo-san."

"The detective." I clarified for Chuuya who nodded his head once.

"We need to capture the gifted who made the virus, it is the only chance at stopping this."

----

It had failed, every plan we came up with fell to the ground whether it be the initial one of finding the gifted man who cursed our leaders or our tactics against the Agency in protecting the boss. Even Chuuya had fallen in battle, trapped in a book. The boss was missing and everything was even more of a mess then I could possibly have imagined.

If I'm this city's guardian angle or whatever like Atsushi said, why can I do nothing to stop all this?

The more we all fought one another, the more the city deteriorated around us. I felt helpless.

And now Ryu and I had been kidnapped by Dazai, something that never boded well. I watched as he held both Ryu and Atsushi by their shirt collars in the moving truck taking us to who knows where.

"Come on, let me go Dazai-san!" Atsushi whined.

"Nope." he smiled back, "You two are going to start fighting with your special abilities again if I let go."