VII. XM

Xu Minghao

people could tell something was wrong. they didn't know minghao personally, but they could tell. even on a bad day, minghao was the type of person to smile kindly and ask his customer how their day as going. he can't even do that now.

"is it out of line if i ask how you're doing?"

this man is a regular at aurora. the first time he came, he told minghao that he had just moved houses, and he now had a large backyard with too much empty space that desperately needed to be filled. he was about as regular as a regular at a plant shop could be. he and minghao had become close over the past couple of months, and he was a witty and charming man. minghao may have fallen in love with the man if he hadn't already been in a relationship. he's kind and funny and has a pretty smile. his name is choi seungcheol.

minghao sighs heavily as he counts out his change. "is it really that obvious?" he hears seungcheol snort and looks up to see him nod dumbly. stupid question. he looks back down. "i'm quickly realising my feelings for someone, and it really sucks."

seungcheol wiggles his eyebrows. "ooh, who is it?"

"um, kwon soonyoung? i don't think yo一"

"really?!" seungcheol cuts him off. "i've seen him leaving his dance studio. he's actually somewhat famous, being one of the youngest choreographers in south korea. he puts dance videos on youtube every week. he's really handsome. how the heck do you even know him?"

seungcheol isn't too keen on swearing, either. another thing the two have in common: gay, sad, and anti-swearing.

"he's been coming to the shop a lot lately," he says. "i think it's been two weeks?"

"dude. marry him."

"he's in love with someone else," the conversation is beginning to stress minghao out already. "why else would i be feeling like this?"

"you're an idiot," seungcheol laughs. "a boy coming to your shop to hang out with you nearly every day without buying anything?"

"he bought stuff from here!"

"when?"

"the first day, and today."

"yeah, he likes you." minghao scoffs. "don't scoff at me, xu minghao! why don't you believe me?"

"because he bought flowers for this person from me. today." minghao blurts. "if those flowers were for me, he wouldn't have come to my shop, gotten flowers from me, and then left."

the smile drops from seungcheol's face, and he looks down at the counter and drums his fingers against the glass. minghao hands him his change and checks the clock. there are only three minutes until closing, so he locks the box and places it in the cabinet, locking that as well.

"do you want to get some tea before you head home? it'll be my treat," seungcheol offers, putting his wallet back in his pocket.

minghao shakes his head. "i should really just go home. i need to make myself dinner before it gets too dark, anyway."

"it's fine, minghao. we can stop and grab you something to eat as well.

"i don't—"

"you don't eat out, yeah, i know," seungcheol cuts him off again. "but they make you pay for your tea with an ipad at the coffee place and you still buy it, so."

minghao scowls as he walks to the back, and seungcheol trails behind him. he puts his coat on and throws his bag over his shoulder, brushing past seungcheol as he makes his way back to the front of the shop.