change

"That's it, I'm putting a tracking device on you." Louis grumbled, yanking me back into the hotel room. "Stop running off, Scarlett, I'm too young to die of a heart attack." 

     "Sorry, Lou." I sighed, falling back onto the couch. "Uh, where's-"

     "Scar, please talk to me." Niall appeared, cutting me off. It felt like bile was crawling up my throat and my eyes began to burn due to unshed tears. I watched as his face fell even further, his hand reaching out to touch me. 

     "Don't! Don't you dare touch me." I seethed, jumping up from the couch. "And don't you dare call me Scar." I walked around him, making sure to shove him with my shoulder. I could hear footsteps following me as I made my way down the hall to the bedroom he and I shared. Opening the closet, I grabbed one of my red suitcases and began to pile all of my clothes into it. 

     As I approached the dresser I noticed a rather large hole in the wall and my mind flashed back to just minutes before when Niall's hand reached out for me. Bloody and swollen. 

     "I got mad." Niall spoke from behind me. 

     "At yourself or me?" I questioned, not turning around. 

     "Me one hundred percent... why are you packing? Are you leaving? Where will you go?"

     "Zayn has an extra bed in his room, I'm gonna stay with him until we leave for Florida." I answered, going about my business still not meeting his gaze. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him leaning against the door frame, wiping continuously at his eyes and face. "I'm sorry but I can't do this, us, you broke my heart." 

     I've heard song after song about heartbreak, each artist making it seem so relatable and poetic in a way. But there's actually nothing beautiful or poetic about it. Niall shattered my fucking heart; plain and simple.

     "Can't we just start over? Look, I fucked up but I swear I'll try to fix everything." Niall spoke, his voice cracking. I wanted so bad to say, 'fuck it' and jump into his arms and start fresh but there's no forgetting what he did to me. It's not even the fact that he hired someone to make me jealous but the fact that he continued to do so even when I was in the hospital from self inflicted injuries. I tried to end my life and he was so caught up in his scheme that he drove me to the edge. And to think I almost jumped. 

     "You broke me into so many pieces it'll take years to fix me." 

     "I-I-"

     "Spit it out then get out." I snapped.

     He gulped, "I didn't mean to hurt you, I just wanted you to want me." 

     "Well you destroyed me! I wanted you more than I wanted life! But you were blindly selfish and a sick bastard. You disgust me." I was crying now and Niall's face was beat red, his lips pouting uncontrollably. "If I didn't have nowhere to go, I'd be gone by now... long gone." 

     I knew the boys were all listening in on the conversation, but no one stepped in for once. It was time for Niall and I to hash it out and I bet they all hoped things would go back to normal, but they wont and I doubt they ever will. 

     Niall remained silent, sniffles being the only sound emitting from him. I zipped up my suitcase and slammed it onto the ground. "I love you Scarlett, I want us to be together." 

     "Don't you think it's a little late for that?" Zayn replied, walking into the room to grab my luggage. I sent him a thankful look for his perfect timing. He placed his hand on my lower back and began guiding me out of the room. 

     "I hate that I still love you more than I love myself." I whispered, solely for him to hear. It was as if in that moment I could hear his heart shatter. 

     Zayn brought me across the hall to his room, placing my belongings against the wall and pulling me to sit down next to him on the edge of the bed. 

     "Everything is going to change very soon. When this tour is over, things will be different for you and I." Zayn said, squeezing me with his hand that sat on my waist. 

     "What do you mean?" I asked, confused. 

     "Don't worry about it for now, but it's something to look forward to. I promise."