16. The Way I Are

Harry looks at the size of his suitcase and the number of items he picked out and realizes he's made a colossal error. He shifts his tongue to the side of his mouth and gets lost in deep thought.

He begins to pick up articles of clothing and sorts them out one by one. He decided to keep a pair of shorts, 3 pairs of jeans, and 4 tops along with sandals, boots, and sneakers just in case. He packs away his toiletries in a separate bag and smiles at himself for his neatly organized belongings. Before zipping it, he rushes to his bathroom and grabs a bottle of personal massage oil and protection.

"Just in case," he hums out loud, hopeful. It's not that he's trying to rush things along with Louis, but he's so proud of himself for behaving and not acting on impulses that he feels optimistic.

The last item he places in his luggage is gift-wrapped with a big bow. He smiles contently at it, trying to not wrinkle the present, and zips his suitcase.

"There you are, Harold!" Liam squeals. "So, I know you're usually my shotgun buddy, but since I'm driving the first half, I kinda told Zayn...."

"Say no more!" Harry laughs as he pushes his hair out of his face. "I have a confession too.....I invited Louis...."

Liam smirks. "Interesting. So you two a thing yet or?"

"Nah. Not yet. Just friends."

"Suuuuuurreee," Liam teases. "You staying over there tonight?"

"He hasn't invited me yet," Harry says as he reaches above his head to shut the trunk.

Inside the apartment, Louis enjoys having the house to himself. He turns the volume up on his music and dance around foolishly. The scale finally showed a weight loss of a couple ounces, making him pleased with himself.

He wishes people understood that anorexia was not a forever darkness. Just like with any disease, you have good days as well. In fact, it could make one have extreme highs and despairingly lows. Today was going to be a good day; he could feel it.

As he twirls his arms around, he falls on his knees and sings loudly. He gets lost in the rhythm, flinching when he hears a knock on the door. Eager, he opens it half expecting a curly-haired giraffe but is highly disappointed.

"Louis...."

".....Clay? How do you know where I live?" Louis tries to shut the door, but Clay quickly scurries in.

"Please, Louis. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about last night. I felt so bad about what happened. You didn't reply to my text this morning. I started freaking out because I am so glad you've decided to give me another chance. I don't want you to move on with Harry...." Clay inches closer to him.

Louis tries to pull away, but Clay has a firm grasp on his waist, pinning their bodies together. "Just one kiss, and it'll all start coming back," Clay rests their forehead together.

"Please...I don't want to...." Louis begs. He tries to wiggle out of the tight embrace. I wish Niall was home.

Not listening, Clay connects their lips together. When he realizes that Louis isn't kissing him back, he shoves him into the wall. "Come on, Lou. Stop acting all badass. We need to be civil." He reconnects their lips, this time Louis cooperating.

"I just want to be left alone, Clay. Understand that!" Louis whimpers. He feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. Before he can read the text, Clay grabs the phone out of his hands and begins to read the messages.

(iMessage)
Harry: All packed and ready to go! We'll be there at about 8 am. Rest tight with Froggo tonight.
Harry: See you in the morning xx

"Oh! Where are you going with Styles?" Clay scoffs.

"It's Spring Break, Clay. I can go anywhere I want. I don't belong to you anymore!" Louis spits as he tries to fight back. "Please, leave and give me my phone!"

With that, Louis sees a familiar glint in Clay's eyes: the one where his pupils are dilated and malice in the forefront.

"You want your phone?!" Clay spits. He grips the phone tightly and strikes Louis in the side of the head with it. The force causes Louis to fumble to the ground, falling on his stomach. He crawls toward the door, telling himself he's going to run for it no matter if he has shoes on or not. He takes pride in his sprinting skills. It's one of his best talents. (Though malnutrition makes his knees ache.)

His goal is not accomplished as Clay grabs his ankles and pulls him toward the door.

"I've been putting up with your disrespectful shit attitude for too long now, Louis. You have got to learn!" He grabs Louis' hair and pulls him through the living room and into the kitchen. "Everyone feels sorry for you because you stopped eating. Most of the teammates blame me!"

He opens the fridge aggressively and begins to pour milk on Louis' head. "Here have come calcium! Pickles are packed with sodium," Clay continues to throw food at Louis.

"I can't let you be a slut for Styles. That hippie doesn't know you, Louis. I know your body inside out. I was your first everything...first real relationship, first time, first......" Clay counts on his fingers, trying to recite their history. Louis takes the opportunity to stand up and bolt for the door.

"Louis!" Clay chases after him until he notices that people in the duplex beside them are staring out the window. He then decided to get in his car and drive away, squealing his tires as he did so.

The neighbors come out. "You alright?"

"Yeah, don't worry. He's just mad," Louis laughs.

"Do you need something?" The neighbor asks, concern written on the woman's face.

"No, no. I'll be fine. I'm leaving for Spring Break tomorrow morning. Thanks, though!" He waves as he walks back into his house.

With his head throbbing, he knows he needs to clean up the mess in the kitchen. He didn't even have the energy to clean himself up. Instead, he positions himself on the couch. He knows he should be crying, but he's too numb to the pain.

Before he falls asleep, he hears his phone vibrate. He limps off the couch and picks it up. He groans when he sees the screen is cracked.

(iMessage)
Harry: I forgot to tell you to bring your swim attire, Mr. Tomlinson
Louis contemplated what to do. Should he cancel going on the road trip? Should he spend the next week alone, wishing he were dead?

Not today.

Louis: Can you come over, pls
Louis: No questions asked?
Harry: Of course. On my way.