2. Come In

With his laptop sitting on the countertop, Niall opens the new package of tofu and grimaces at the sight of the white square. This smells terrible, he thinks as he continues watching the Youtube video on preparing tofu for salad. His nose scrunches as he tips the contains over and hears a loud plop on the cutting board.

"Start with extra-firm tofu. Press it beneath a weighted plate to remove the excess water, and then cut the tofu into cubes, slices, or sticks. Bake until puffed and golden, then pack what doesn't get eaten right away into containers for an easy meal add-in later in the week." The female voice instructs.

Mentally cursing at himself, he prepares the tofu or his friend, wondering why this had become his life.

As he continues to cook, the doorbell rings frantically. He hopes that Louis will get up and get it, but deep down knows that it won't happen. With no other choice but to answer it, he dries his hands on a nearby dish towel and strolls into the living room.

"Oh, hey Harry!" Niall greets the brunette-haired man in front of him.

"Sorry, I'm a bit early. I just needed to warm this casserole up before the game," Harry smiles at him.

"It's quite alright, mate. Please come in," Niall guides him toward the counter to put down his things.

Harry picks up the case of beer he brought and puts it in the freezer before walking over to the stove. "What are you making?" He asks as he removes his sunglasses and observes the mess.

"Tofu," Niall tries to say with a straight face.

Harry giggles under his breath. "You don't seem too fond of it, if I'm honest."

"It's for Lou," Niall sighs as he continues to cut the tofu into tiny cubes.

Harry looks offended as he watches Niall butcher the beautiful ingredient in front of him. He rocks back and forth on his heels, trying to keep himself from intervening. When he sees Niall grease the bottom of a pan with butter, however, he can't help but grab the utensil out of his hands.

"Ah!" Harry shrieks. "How about you go get the party platter set up, and I finish this?" Harry suggests, though his voice sounds more demanding.

Niall puts his hands up in surrender but gladly walks away to the table between the couch and television. He arranges enough paper plates so that all the guests have one. Not long after, Liam and his friends walk through the door without knocking or ringing the doorbell. He's thankful his friends feel at home here.

"Hey!" Niall greets them excitedly. "Beer in the freezer, wings right here." He points. "If you brought anything, just sit in the kitchen, please."

The boys did as instructed.

"Yo! Glad you could make it!" Liam says, walking over to Harry and observing his cooking. "More boho healthy shit?" He giggles. "Thought that was a phase."

Harry shakes his head in amusement. "Yeah, we'll see whose stomach is feeling bloated later which of us feel cleansed."

Liam scoots closer to Harry and looks around to make sure nobody is in earshot. "I really appreciate you coming tonight. I know you remember Louis from English Lit..."

"I do," Harry smiles as he puts his thumb to the roof of his mouth. "He hung out with us a few times, remember?"

Liam pats him on the back as he crinkles his eyes. "Well, he's changed a bit since then. Niall says he's been feeling down and needs someone to talk to. I doubt he'll come out of his room, though, so you'll need to go to him."

Harry seasons the tofu to taste and places it in the oven before setting the timer. He takes a seat between Zayn and Niall, who are already 2 beers down.

"So, Zayn, how's the studio coming along?" Niall asks as he pats his back.

"Amazing! I've sold enough pieces this month to pay rent and then some," Zayn pulls his phone out of his pocket. "Someone wants this black and white piece of the city lights for $500. Can you believe that?"

"I'm going to school for the wrong thing," Liam says with wide eyes. "It is beautiful, though. You're really talented.

Zayn feels his cheeks redden as he hides his face on Niall's shoulder. "Thank you."

There's hardly any more conversation after the game begins. The boys swig back their beers and eat their wings. They knock over the chip bowl a few times as they scream at the television in excitement.

Harry sits with his feet propped up on the table, fidgeting with his hands or playing with his hair. He tries not to show his lack of enthusiasm on his face as he sits there. He tries to act like a social butterfly, despite a whirlpool of anxiety consuming him.

It isn't until he heard the timer go off that he finds some release. Culinary arts and literature seem to be a refuge from the thoughts in his mind. He walks to the kitchen and finds two bright orange oven mitts he can use to get out the tofu and casserole he reheated.

He opens the refrigerator and analyzes the contents. He uses greek yogurt, blackberries, fresh ginger, cucumbers, mushrooms, and other fresh vegetables that fill the crisp drawer.

"Harry..." Niall comes up behind him. "There's enough food here, Lad."

"I just want everyone to have a variety," Harry informs him, pulling pieces of Romaine off the spine of the lettuce.

Niall inches closer to him. "I guess Liam told you about Louis, huh? Well, he's a bit fussy with food."

"So am I..." Harry reassures him.

Niall put his hands up in surrender once again. "Alright, Lad...when you're here, the kitchen is all yours. Just know if a plate is headed your way, duck!" He says sarcastically.

Harry smiles at him as he begins to separate the veggies. He prepares homemade Greek goddess dressing and layers the salad to be pleasing to the eye before sprinkling some fresh basil on top.

He pours some ice water and puts the food on the table. Niall points him to a closed-door, assuming it's Louis's bedroom.

 Niall points him to a closed-door, assuming it's Louis's bedroom