Human Experiment Chamber

'I am Harvey Syton, a humble researcher working for the International Secret Service. I was delighted to find out that I was leading the ISS' newest project, and testing is taking place primarily underground next week in the Human Experiment Chamber, SF23. Its aim is to develop an innovative and shocking method of torture which is designed to discourage potential ISS members from betraying the organisation, and as a punishment for captured hitmen from overseas, discovered to be targeting ISS leaders.

Over the course of the project, I will document every detail in this written report along with a video to accompany the results of each experiment. After the project has formally ended, I will suggest the best conclusion(s) to the testing based on the evidence collected.

Once again, I thank my superiors for allowing me to pioneer this project which will undoubtedly benefit the ISS community for as long as it exists.

--H.J.Syton, human biologist, qualified researcher, SG64'

That's the opening statement for my report. Now, I don't blame you for thinking I'm some kind of insane genius, but I'm not the kind of Frankenstein you see on television. In fact, I'll admit I'm a pretty emotionally unstable guy, and I've been hiding myself behind a façade since I joined the service.

I'm working for the ISS, a criminal organisation, and I've been working there for a long time now. The headquarters is situated underground on the coast of Con Caven island. It's like the mafia, just less well known, and it's brought me a handful of problems as a US citizen, not to mention some emotional trauma too. But I couldn't resist the temptation of good pay for the rest of my life. At the end of two years of service, I signed the unbreakable contract.

After a further two years in the job, I began to believe that anyone, whether they started meek or macho, could condition themselves into a state of mind where they felt almost no empathy for anyone else. The human brain needs conditioning to keep its empathy sensors refreshed, so the more you don't use it, the less you'll be inclined to feel sorry for random people, right?

Then I realised it wasn't that simple. And sadly, I realised too late.

Take my word for it: if you're a normal, sane human being, don't ever try to fit in with the psychos. That's because there's a difference between the fakers and the real deal. What I'm trying to say is, you'll never know what's inside the mind of a psychopath if you weren't born one yourself. Anyone that tries to believe otherwise will, ultimately, drive themselves insane.

Part One

9 A.M.

It was time to meet the unfortunate victims. There were thirteen inmates who had arrived from a prison on the island. The purpose of seeing the subjects before beginning the tests was for estimating measurements, but it was still nice to get to know them before sending them to their deaths in the most painful ways imaginable.

There were two women and eleven men. As I was scribbling down descriptions on my notepad, one of the big guys tried to attack me. Although he could only go as far as the metal bars of his cell would allow, the sudden outburst still made me jump. I made a mental note to order extra restraints for this one.

I put my clipboard down then decided to talk to them. Some swore at me in every sentence, but most of them were nicer than I'd imagined, which was creepy. Especially the middle aged lady who had poisoned her husband and had offered me a foot massage. I asked them what crimes they had committed, and whether they were scared at all. Some notable answers included things to do with animals and my mom.

The sight of a teenager in one of the cells caught my interest. I'd never seen such a young inmate arrive here for testing before, and I wondered what crime he had committed. I asked him if he was afraid of his approaching fate, and he answered: