How My Grandfather Killed his Brother

I felt a finger poke and dig deeper into my cheek as my drool fell like a waterfall. My eyelids felt like sand bags as I struggled to open them and as the blur ceased a figure I recognized anywhere was put into perspective. There with her rosy cheeks and ear to ear grin was my little sister holding up a stuff teddy bear and that teddy bear held a large story book, the same book I always see in my nightmares, the same book she makes me read every night for the last three months.

"Again with the fairytales, can't you see I'm sleeping here?" I asked exhausted as I tossed back and rolled over to the opposite side to avoid her puppy dog eyes that she will eventually make and I will eventually fall to because I'm a very weak individual who spoils his little sister, rotten.

"Come on Big Bro, just this once, I just want to finish the story." Her voice felt like sweet honey to my ears, a mix of pleading and sincerity that can only come out from such an innocent soul.

I grit my teeth as I took a throw pillow and covered my exposed ear to it thus, blocking her spell completely. Of course she hadn't stopped as I felt her little body pushing me from the sofa and afterwards trying to pull me out.

Then it stopped, I could no longer feel her prodding and unrelenting annoyance, I guess this victory goes to me. Though, I did felt bad crushing her little hopes like that, what was I to do? If I spoil her more then she'll eventually cling to me like some sort of parasite and I'm pretty sure that title already belong to me-but I guess it's kind of a win if my little sister would like to be like his college dropout brother-on second thought, forget I said anything.

But still, there was something in my mind that wouldn't halt, my heart started thumping like drums being aggressively stomped on by a tour de France contestant as I felt something was wrong. And in an instance it fell on me like a ton of bricks, to put it clearer, she fell on me like a ton of bricks.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked as I picked her up from her shoulders, carrying her like a lifelike doll, she only stared at me blankly as she hid her face with the story book-again to describe it clearer, the story book carried by a stuffed bear to emphasize how hard she was trying to melt my heart, and I applaud her, because it did melt my heart and fractured a fair amount of my ribs.

"Okay, I give up, you win. Just give me a little breather, okay, princess?" I asked, stretching my back as I felt her nod in both approval and victory.

Balancing house chores, finding a job and acting as a plaything for my little sister was exhausting for a young man but I guess I don't have the right to complain neither do I have the energy to. My ears perked up as hoof like thuds began ringing across the house. Immediately, a fluorescent light bulb lit up on top of my head as an Idea began to shine. I extended my hand to the little girl with the light chocolate brown hair tied into a ponytail as she complied immediately as we both skipped merrily into the direction where the old grumpy troll sat and drank his brew.

"Good evening, grandfather." We both said in unison as a gruff old man sighed as though he had just inhaled a pound of smoke. His old withering eyes stared at me with intensity as it shifted towards his cane clearly he was about to make a run for it.

"Alice, get the cane!" I said, yelling as she sprinted towards the cane. But even with her speed I know she wouldn't be able to beat the quick scoop of an old man filled with caffeine so the only thing I can do to help is distract him, but how?

"Hey Grandfather, Elvis is dead!" I yelled as he stopped in his tracks long enough for Alice to grab the cane and within that split second run back to me as I held the cane smugly like the slickest, sexiest, most charismatic pimp this side of the red district dark alleyway. My grandfather only glared at me like he was about to shoot lasers from his eyes like one of those x-mans as I could feel a telepathic voice repeat over and over "You're the biggest disappointment in my life." This was a win and lose situation for me as my heart split into feeling proud of my petty accomplishment and feeling proud of my petty accomplishment.