Chapter 22

Picture of Caleb on top.

Evangeline

When I walked into Xavier's hospital the following morning, he was already packed, dressed, and ready to leave. He was cleared to leave as all of his wound has healed completely overnight. This surprised all the nurses and doctors as it is very rare and pretty much impossible to be completely healed after a silver bullet wound. But, considering the fact that Xavier, came from a powerful and long bloodline of Alphas, he had the strength and power to do so. I stood quietly by the door, leaning onto its wooden frame. Xavier sensing my presence turned around and smiled softly, "Hey." he greeted. I  returned his greetings with a small smile, "Hi, how are you feeling?" Xavier scratched the back of his head, "Better, that's for sure. How about you?" I nodded my head, "I'm good." The awkwardness was still thick in the air between us, despite what had occurred last night. 

I wasn't asleep and I heard every single word as clear as day, but the words that made me froze were his lasts. Did he really mean them? I had asked over and over again, with my heart beating out of my chest and doubts clouding my mind like a thick fog during winter mornings. I knew that I should not forgive him that easily and must make him work to gain my trust again. A small part of me wanted to leave him again, wanted to flinch away and never forgive him. A small permanent wound in my heart and my haunting past still etched all over my memory made me want to run away but, I knew that I can't live without my mate forever. A werewolf living without a mate is in danger of becoming fully wolf, wild and losing all humanity. As tough as the forgiveness process will be, I will make him work for his second chance. 

Xavier slung his packed duffle bag over his shoulder and made his way over to me, "I'm all good to go, guess I'll see you later?" I nodded my head and left the room, heading back to mine to gather my own things. As I entered, my eyes met with Blakes'. He sat on the edge of my bed, hands tightly interlocked, his hair ruffled and messy and dark under eye circled that contrasted starkly with his pale face. I stood there, frozen, wanting to divert my gaze and yet I was unable to. His cobalt blue eyes, shining ever so brightly, was glazed over with sadness and guiltiness. When my senses gradually started coming back, I slowly backed away from him, back walking back outside my hospital room, "No..." I whimpered. 

"Evangeline...please don't do this, we need to talk," Blake whispered, his voice broken and hushed. My heart felt heavy and my head started spinning, I was at a lost. I wanted nothing more than to run into his warm embrace and stay there forever but images of Grace flashing through my mind reminded me that Blake was not mine, and could never me. Blake stood up and approached me, slowly, as if he was approaching a scared deer caught in the headlights, "Please, Evangeline."  Tears filled my eyes as I looked up, "It hurts." Blake closed the distance between us, his long strides instantly allowing his to do so. He pulled me into one of his familiar bear hugs, one that I needed so desperately. I hugged him back tightly, never wanting to let go and cherishing this moment. He stroked my hair as he whispered in my ear, "You will always have a special place in my heart Evangeline. Always remember that." I sniffled and leaned more into his strong chest, "I will."

The door suddenly burst open. "EVANGELINE! I've missed you! MOVE BLAKEY, SHOO SHOO! Let me squeeze the life out of my Eevee!" Charlotte pushed Blake away and embraced me in a tight hug. I giggled and quickly wiped my tears away before she could see them, "Hey Charmander." Charlotte pulled back and looked for any signs of injury left, "Are you okay? How are you feeling?" I gave her a watery smile, "I'm all better, Winter helped heal my wounds fast overnight and the antidote worked wonders." Charlotte breathe out a sigh of relief, "That's great news! I was so worried." Jamie, Jake, and Maxwell stood by the doorway, I smiled at them, "Hey guys." All at once, they all rushed over to me and wrapped me up in a group hug, "Never do this to us again, we were all so worried!" they exclaimed. I giggled, "I'll try to stay out of trouble from now on," I told them jokily.

After exchanging hugs, everyone settled down in the various seating spots in my hospital room. Blake awkward fiddled with his hands, looking down sadly at his shoes as he sat next to Maxwell on the plush sofa. Everyone sensed the thick tension in the air, and of course, Charlotte being always the one to break the silence said, "Blake, Evangeline, we are going to leave you guys to talk. You guys need to figure this out and talk it out. We love you guys so much and hate to see it end like this. Please talk and figure things out together. Also Eevee, you could never hide your sadness from me girl, I can read you like a book now and just know that if you ever need to talk, I'm always here. Let's go, guys." Jamie, Charlotte, Jake, and Maxwell all nodded in agreement and proceeded to stand up and leave the room, leaving Blake and me once again alone. 

"Evangeline, I..."

"Blake, I..."

I giggled and he chuckled as we both spoke at the same time. "You first," Blake said, gesturing me to start. I took a deep breath, "I'm sorry, I should not have running away like that. I just was not ready to talk about it, it felt too raw and too soon. I knew that one day this was going to happen and that you will eventually leave me for your newfound your mate, but it just happened so abruptly, that I did not know how to react. I will always remember all the beautiful and unforgettable memories of us together. You have thought me so much, you opened up my heart and made me believe in love again and for that, thank you. Grace is lucky to have you as her mate and I know you will make her the happier girl alive." Blake smiled and gently placed his warm, much larger hand on top of mine, "I understood why you ran Evangeline, no need to apologize for that. I knew this day would come too, and it pained me every time I think of how I will someday end up being the one to hurt you. I don't regret everything we did together, they are treasured memories now and I hope that this will not affect our friendship. You make me happy Evangeline and having you in my life lightened it up like every sunrise at the crack of day."

Tears dripped down my face, "Thank you, Blake, I can never thank you enough for saving me and loving me. You will never understand how much you changed my life and me, as a werewolf." Blake used his other hand to softly wipe my tears away, "Don't cry little one, you have also changed my life, in more ways than you can ever understand. We will always be friends, nothing can end that and I promise you, I will always be there for you whenever."