Chapter 3

Picture of Alec, Evangeline's brother on top.

Evangeline

The sun was setting and the sky turned to dusk, colors of pinks, oranges, and yellows, mixed in the once blue sky. We were resting against a tree after running for what it seems like hours. We left the Moonlight Pack territory a long time ago, not stopping once. We looked around at our surroundings and fears that we might not be on neutral grounds and actually trespassing another pack's territory. We closed my eyes, too exhausted to care anymore, and rested as much as possible before having to run about. Abruptly, we felt this burning sensation in our heart. It felt as if someone lit a match and had put our heart on fire. We screamed, our beast and human voice mixing together, the pain gradually became unbearable."What's going on Winter? What is happening?" I asked her frantically, screaming louder as the pain increased. "It is mate Evangeline...mate is having sex with another girl. How could he do this to us?" Winter whimpered and lets out a long mournful cry. The pain in our chest slowly died down as we curled up into a little ball and cried ourselves to sleep.

Someone was poking our tail. We moved in away and tried to fall back into a deep state on sleep. The person or thing continued to relentlessly poke at our tail. We gave up on sleep and slowly opened our eyes. In our vision, a tall guy with light brown touseled hair and bright hazel eyes peered down at us. I knew instantly that he is an Alpha because he was radiating off Alpha power. "Shift back, rogue." He commanded, his voice strong and commanding. We bowed my head instinctively and shifted immediately.

My face turned a bright cherry red and I immediately covered up, realizing that I was naked. The Alpha threw me a shirt and that I instantly slipped it on."Rogue, what are you doing on my territory?" He questioned me, his voice full of authority, but not menacing, at least not yet. "I ran away from my old pack, please forgive me for trespassing your territory Alpha." I bowed my head out of respect as I spoke. "Why did you run away?" he asked, his tone cautious but, curious. I decided to be honest and tell him the real reason. "I was abused and treated like a slave by my pack for many years. I finally ran away because after finding my mate, who happens to also be the Alpha of the pack, he rejected me..." I replied, trailing off at the end.

He looked at me, his expression softening in an instant, his eyes showing genuine sympathy and sadness. "I'm sorry little one, no one deserves to be treated that way...what is your name and your wolf's name?" I was taken aback by his sudden friendly tone. "My name is Evangeline and my wolf's name is Winter." I smiled genuinely for the first time since my parents died as I introduced us. I could tell that this Alpha meant us no harm and he had a kind aura. "It is very nice to meet you guys, my name is Blake and my wolf's name is Shadow. If you'd like, I can take you back to the packhouse for you to wash up and eat. It seems like you've had quite the journey little one, it would do you lots of good to sleep in a proper bed and rest." Blake offered kindly. My eyes widened at his generously. "That would be wonderful! I don't know what to say. Thank you so much, Alpha Blake, thank you so much." I answered with a smile, it has been a long time since anyone has shown me this much kindness.

Blake smiled back and beckoned me to follow him. He started walking, purpose making his strides smaller for me to easily follow close behind. Blake seems to know the forest well, we got out of the thick forestry in no time at all. The views of evergreen trees disappeared and in place was a charming little town, with rows of houses and shops lined up along the street. We walked down the main street, dodging pack members here and there until Blake stopped at the very end of the main street, in front of a huge and majestic mansion. I gasped when I saw their packhouse, it was way bigger than the Moonlight Pack's house. Blake chuckled at my reaction, "Come on in Evangeline, I will be honored to give you the grand tour." he said with a wink. I could not contain my excitement. "Yay!" I squealed out. Blake shook his head in amusement and lead me to the double doors. He opened them both in one swift gesture, and immediately my jaws dropped to the floor. "Close your mouth Evangeline or else you are going to catch flies," Blake said while sniggering at my starstruck expression. I blushed and instantly closed my mouth. The interior of the packhouse was more beautiful than I had ever imagined. There were two grand staircases lead up to the next floor and a huge crystal chandelier hung right above us. I gazed up at it in fascination. The lights reflecting off of it, causing the floor to also seem to sparkle just as brightly as the chandelier's jewels.