The Writer

Annabeth woke up on Saturday to Percy writing on a notepad. She didn't say anything as she peeked over his shoulder, he was sitting on the floor in front of the couch.

He was drawing.

Annabeth studied the paper. The drawing was of her, and she was curled up on the couch with Percy. But Percy's face wasn't drawn. No his face was blank, so that all the attention was on the Annabeth in the drawing. She was wearing an oversized sweater and socks, she was talking and explaining something with her hands, but the Percy in the photo wasn't paying attention to that.

Even without a face, Annabeth could tell the Percy in the drawing was only paying attention to Annabeth, not the words she was saying.

Annabeth bit her lip to keep from screaming. Because she knew that art style. She had a picture in her binder with the same type of skill. The picture left in her locker was from . . . Percy?

Annabeth leaned back and made a show of 'waking up'. Percy shoved the notebook in his bag before smiling at her. "What's up Wise Girl?" Percy leaned over her. "You feeling better?"

"Yep!" Annabeth pushed the drawing to the back of her mind, she didn't want to make things awkward. "I think it was just a 24 hour cold." Annabeth smiled and stretched. "Thanks for coming over and taking care of me though."

"No problem. My mom always says I go over board where my friends are concerned." Percy gave his lopsided grin and Annabeth smiled. "So what should we do? TV? Or go somewhere?"

"Stay here for now. I don't want to get up and do things." Annabeth sighed and sunk into the cushions, making a perfect show of lazy. Percy chuckled then hoped up to prop himself over Annabeth on the couch. Annabeth went wide eyed but Percy only wrapped her up in a hug and left his head on her stomach.

"Percy?" Annabeth said trying to collect herself. Percy's legs were entwined with hers and his arms were around her waist. His head was on her stomach and he seemed not inclined to move anytime soon.

"Yes?" Percy hummed, he traced circles on her side. 

"What-you know I'm going to stop asking." Annabeth chuckled even as her face burned. If Percy was the one who drew the picture, then was he the one writing notes? How? Why? 

Annabeth and Percy spent their day talking and watching TV. She got an idea when the conversation stalled, a comfortable silence resting between them. "Who is your favorite poet?" Annabeth asked as her fingers ran through Percy's hair. 

His fingers paused for a moment, they paused their circle motions on Annabeth's side. But they picked back up and he looked up at her with a confused look. "What?" He blinked. 

"I don't know, random question that popped into my head. I like Emily Dickinson and Edgar Allen Poe." Annabeth played it off. If Percy was the one writing notes she had to watch his reaction to her next statement. "Of course some quotes from people who aren't poets are just as great. I love Mother Teresa's quote "The hunger for love is much harder to remove than the hunger for bread." Though that might just be me." She shrugged and let her eyes wander like she was spacing out. 

"Wise Girl." Percy smirked. "Come back to earth. No I don't have a favorite poet, I don't read it much. But some people do have great quotes, I'll agree to that." Percy smiled before laying his head back down. But Annabeth saw the tensing of his jaw, ever so slightly. 

She pushed it back in her head, she would think about it once he left and she was by herself. 

And when Percy did finally leave for his house, Annabeth started hyperventilating. She took out all her notes and analyzed them all. She thought back to doing homework with him, she did think the writing was the same. Annabeth smiled as her heart filled with hope. 

Percy was the one writing the notes. 

Annabeth formed a plan, one that even if he wasn't the writer, would be full proof. Oh it was good. Annabeth grinned as she texted Thalia with a simple, "I think you're right." 

Oh she found the writer, now she just had to put her plan into action. Annabeth got to work and grinned the whole time.