11. Black Panther?

IS IT REALLY SUCH A BIG DEAL? Or are black people just being extra?

Well, if you've ever met a black person, you'd know that we're pretty extra. But, this time it's warranted, I promise! This week, with the much anticipated and talked about release of Marvel's Black Panther, I'd like to tackle a few of the questions and perspectives that I've seen floating around. All races are encouraged to read.

1. Why is this movie such a big deal? Probably the most asked about question I've heard about the movie and for good reason. Nowadays, social media trends are so ferociously promoted, it's easy to discard them as fluff. Black Panther, however, is not fluff. Here's why:

The simple reason is Representation. In big-budget movies and media overall, the black man is never the glorified hero. He's the sidekick, the villain, the neighbor, the anti-hero, he's everything but the core protagonist. But in Black Panther, we see a righteous black man protecting his family, his country, making good decisions, expressing his emotions. Finally, a positive role model for black men.

Moreover, African culture is presented as beautiful. I don't know about you, but this is the first time I've seen a portrayal of Africa on my tv and phone where there aren't starving kids asking for money or insane violence. In Black Panther, African culture is praised and multi-dimensional. There is finally pride and respect. Africans are no longer starving, angry savages. They are strong, smart and independent.

Black women are powerful. Usually, on your tv, the black women are crazy, "ghetto" or a damsel. There is not one weak black woman in Black Panther. They are each powerful, intelligent and as competent as the men in their own ways, a far cry from the narratives we've been spoon-fed before.

2. Why does representation matter?- I cannot give you my life, nor can you live it. But I'll try to explain.

Growing up, I, myself, loved superheroes and comic books and video games, all of that. But, none of the people I looked up to, looked at all like me. After years, subconsciously, I had a notion that a white hero was somewhat ideal. It was perfect. That was the way it was supposed to be. Best believe I was a grown teenager and anytime I played a video game, I made a white character, or I chose a white character. Because in my mind, without even realizing it, I believed white was right. This disassociation with our own bodies actually contributes to other issues in the community such as colorism, crime etc. I was lucky enough to be educated otherwise but there are some black people never get that chance. They live their whole lives with a mentality that a white person is the ideal human being. And they, as a result of not being white, are not good enough and never will be.

Imagine growing up and the only time you see your representation ios on the news.

3. Isn't it racist? An almost all-black cast? – No. The movie is about African culture, it should be all black, actually.

Those are the biggest conflicts I've seen people discuss about the movie! If there are any other big ones that I missed, comment here and let me know. I'll gladly shed some light on them. Additionally, as usual, if any of you have any lingering questions or confusion don't be shy! Comment or PM us and let's talk!