The snake

So I told him, everything, from me being from the twenty first century, to living in my little apartment, traveling to Scotland, hamish's story, looking around the keep, to waking up in his bed, and being groped by a strange, rude Man.

He stared at me dumbfounded, mouth hung open, "you know if you stand there with your mouth open like that, you'll catch flies!" He furrowed his brows, what language was I speaking? Spanish? He just looked at me as if I said I came off of a spaceship and my cousin was E.T.

Hands on my hands, I stood stock still waiting for his response, he just stands there opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water. "So..... let me get this straight lassie..... you come from a place,.. where ye travel in a metal horse? And ye watch people in a box? And ye just 'popped' to Scotland? With metal coins? Are ye a witch? Because if ye are, I cannae protect ye. Did ye perhaps bump ye head? I willnae judge lassie, just speak now and I can fetch the healer in, mayhap she can give ye a herb or two for ye head!"

The last little bit he spoke more to himself then me, I growled in frustration. "DID YOU NOT HEAR WHAT I SAID??!! I SAID you have a friend here in this clan.... that will stab YOU AND YOUR CLAN MEMBERS IN THE BACK!!!! He's going to KILL you!! You NEED to find out who it is and fast!"

He stopped pacing and stared at me again! Argh! This was so frustrating! Fine if he won't figure it out, then looks like it's up to me to do some digging around and find the snake, time for the hunter to hunt. With that I stormed across the study floor and threw open the door, people passing by suddenly jumped by the angry gesture, they skirted around me as I stomped my feet towards the bedchamber upstairs.

I burst through the door and muttered angry curses to myself, I was so engrossed in this, that I didn't realise that someone was present in my chambers, seated on the edge of my bed, I picked up and threw a chalice with all my strength, expecting a loud clang I was surprised when I didn't hear anything.

I whirled around and saw Caleb sitting there with a smirk on his face. My heart began to pound in my chest, "Caleb... what... what are you doing here?" He narrowed his eyes and stood up from the bed, he started what I could only describe as stalking towards me, my heart pounded against my chest.

A sickly feeling pinched me in the gut, as if my body somehow knew, there was something wrong with his mere presence in my chambers. "Well.... since we didnae have much chance to talk downstairs.... I thought I would come and properly introduce myself lass...."

I shuddered at his rough voice, my spine tingling, I carefully started to widen the gap between us, but unfortunately Caleb noticed. "I'm sorry.... do I make ye uncomfortable? Come lass, I merely want to talk. Let's begin with introductions.... I am Caleb McKenzie, Laird Rowland's right hand mon... and ye lass are?...."

My voice seemed stuck in my throat as if, scared of replying. I gulped and was about to say something sarcastic when an idea struck me. If I were to do some investigating, I should appear as is, I couldn't tolerate Rowland, see if Caleb bit to my bait.

"My name is susan.... I'm sorry for my frustration, I just don't know if I would be able to trust you or not...... considering.... laird Rowland is infuriating....." I sneered at the last bit. I was surprised to see Caleb's eyes widen, then the smirk on his face twisted, his eyes danced with excitement.

"Aye lass.... he is, he is the type of man to always get what he wants..... he does have enemies inside this keep that think the same as ye.... doonae worry ye have an ally with me... if ye ever need a friend.... well I will always lend ye my ear..." I had to keep myself from shivering with disgust as his fingers, skimmed down my arm to my wrist, I just peered up at him and smiled. We were suddenly interrupted by a maid, arms heavy with cloths and brushes.

She squeaked and blushed furiously, he winked at me and smiled, then whisked himself out of my chambers but not before he whispered in my ear, to not forget who I could trust. When he had gone out, the maid bustled about getting my copper bath ready, when it had been properly boiled and emptied into the tub, I gingerly climbed in and let my thoughts go wild.

Caleb..... he could be the one to be the snake, I mean it's not like he actually cares about Rowland. He even said so himself, more or less that Rowland infuriated him, hmm... as I soaked I thought I would have to do more digging.... if he was right then there might be more then one snake in the keep.
________________________

That's what I think Caleb looks like, but you can imagine him how you like, the song is what popped into my head when I was thinking of the story.... what do you guys think? Do you think that Caleb is the snake? Let me know 💋