Chapter 21: The less I know the better

Said pull yourself together
————
But the less I know the better
————
Grayson's POV
I walk away from Taylor's house, knowing what I've gone could have ruined her which was what I found so hard about giving it to her face.
Knowing this was going to conflict her upset me but I just needed her to know that for as long as I live I will regret what I've done.
And most importantly that I love her. So much.
I begin running, from my problems, from her, from myself.
I feel like I black out and just run because I don't remember barging through the front door to have Ethan flicking through tv shows on Netflix.
"Where were you?" He asks, turning around
I sort of freeze up.
"Dropped something off," I say simply and he nods, knowing something's off
Ever since Ethan found out about what I did his respect for me plummeted.
We're close and yeah I love him a lot but we're in a rough patch, it seems I am most of the time.
"Ethan?"
"Yeah?" He asks, looking back at me
"I-I took her to the waterhole, before the accident. I didn't show her where it was. But I took her,"
"You took her?" He asks, raising an eyebrow and I nod "why didn't you tell me?" He asks
"I was worried you wouldn't want me to,"
He laughs it off a bit "no of course not gray, it shows how important she is to you. I just don't understand why you would have done something like that to her. If I had a girlfriend like that in my life, I'd do everything to protect her," he sighs and my heart begins beating faster.
"Do you like her?" I ask plainly and his face drops in a matter of seconds.
He realises the actions he just did and try's to hide his face.
"Yeah, I think so," he says.
My heart drops.
And I know it in my mind that they would be perfect for each other. And I hate that I'm so sure of it.
I know that Ethan would make her happy and he would look after her and she would for him and he would always be there for her.
I know Taylor would love him and he would love her. And she wouldn't have to worry about the problems I've created for her.
And more than anything
I want Taylor to be happy.
Maybe it's time to let go.
"That's good. You should ask her out," I say calmly, trying to stop myself from crying. I bite down on my inner cheek so hard I can taste blood, and feel a searing pain.
"You're not mad?" Ethan asks, surprised
"Ethan I wouldn't be mad. I had the chance and I love her. I want her to be happy. I want that so much you don't understand. And if you make her happy that's all that matters," I try not to cry
"But Grayson I want you to be happy as well," Ethan says. He seems conflicted by this, he seems to like her a lot and I want them to be happy, just not with each other.
I want to be the reason everyday Taylor is happy. I want to make her feel like she can do anything in the world.
"All I want is Taylor to be happy, and if you can give that to her. That's g-good," I wipe a tear from my face and begin walking out of the room when Ethan receives a call.
"Hello?" He asks and seems worried "Take some deep breaths. It's ok. Everything is going to be fine. I'll be over soon ok?" He hangs up and walks out the door.