Chapter 19: Riptide

I hear the slam of a door or something outside and freeze. I look out the window and see a figure walking down the road.
I have to follow them.
I put on my slides and walk outside, looking to see where they went. They were at the end of the road about to turn when I tripped and fell, causing the bin next to me to spill and empty its contents.
The figure walks closer to me and I notice it's a male.
I reach for the nearest object near me and feel a bunch of flowers?
I look down at the array of different coloured tulips and smile slightly but then looking up, I can see the man has stopped and I realise finally, 10 metres away from me who it is.
I look down from the flowers in my hands up to him and back down again.
It all makes sense now.

Grayson stands there, looking at me like I've come back from the dead. Maybe I have.
"Don't think- this will—compensate," I say and begin to stand up, noticing a note on the ground. I pick it up and examine the envelope.
Grayson's handwriting.
"Nothing I do will ever compensate for the pain I caused," Grayson says, he starts to choke up on the last bit.
The pain of not having him in my arms right now is killing me. But I can't be easy on this.
He fucked up and the pains too much.
I feel myself beginning to heave. The tears are going to come soon.
I take a shaky breath
"Goodnight Grayson," I say and walk away, up the lawn and all I want is for him to follow me. Tell me not to leave. That he'll do anything to get me back.
But he doesn't because he doesn't want to hurt me anymore.
It's too late because when I turn around when I open my door, he's nowhere to be seen.