Chapter 24- Marcus

I think Sam is mad at me.

He ignored me during English and when we got out of class he blew past Nick and I without saying a word.

"What's his issue?" Nick asked as we watched Sam disappear down the hall.

"I have no idea," I replied honestly. "He didn't talk to me during class." And when I tried he just glared at me. I don't know what I could have done to make him mad at me.

"He had his tutoring session with Nia today maybe something happened then."

I put my books in my locker. "Maybe, but I don't know what she could have done to make him ignore me."

"You sure about that?" he asked with a raised brow.

"What are you trying to say?"

"You haven't told him that you and Nia are almost, but not really, a thing," he explained. "Maybe she told him."

She wouldn't do that, at least I don't think she would.

"But wouldn't he want to talk to me about it if she did tell him?" I asked slamming my locker shut.

"You find out the girl you like, and technically saw first, is into your best friend. Not to mention, you like her back and didn't tell him about it. If I was him, I'd be pissed too."

"Wow, Nick way to make me feel like shit," I said leaning against my locker. "I was planning on telling him."

"It looks like you may not have to now," he said.

I groaned. "Fuck, I didn't want him to find out like this."

"Maybe it's a good thing."

"How?" I asked him.

"Well, think about it, assuming he already knows about you two. Now you and Nia can get along with the dating process, because I'm going to be honest, you're brooding more than usual, and it makes me want to punch you in the face."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Thanks for being honest."

"What are friends for?" He smiled punching me in the arm.

"Two tickets, please." Nick said to the girl selling prom tickets. She sat at a single lunch table with a large sparkly banner hung on the front with the words "Prom Tickets Sold Here."

"That'll be one hundred and fifty dollars," she said holding her hand out. She had make-up caked on her face, and she wore her hair in a braid. I recognized her as one of the girls from the cheerleading team, I don't remember her name, but I do remember Whitney calling her some choice words behind her back.

"How about you, Marcus?" she asked me.

"Oh, what?" I asked snapping out of my fog.

"Do you need to buy any prom tickets?" she asked.

"Oh, no. I'm not buying any." I hadn't even thought about it.

Her mouth dropped open slightly. "But you are going, right?"

It sounded like a question I wasn't supposed to say no to. "Uh, I'm not sure."

Honestly, I haven't been thinking about prom at all unless Whitney or someone else brings it up. But the more I start to think about it the more dreadful it seems. All my classmates jammed into the gym, dancing (or trying to) and drinking punch that will get spiked at least five minutes in, just doesn't sound like a good time to me.