Chapter Ten

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been quite busy these days, but anyways I hope you have an amazing day!✨

"Hey, Nerio" Newt greets as he enters the room. He sits next to you and smiles. "Its really good to see you awake"

"What happened while I was out?" you ask, trying to sit up but every bit of your body hurts. You groan in pain, Newt immediately stands up and moves you so that you are sitting rather than laying down.

"You should take it easy, you were really hurt. Not only your legs but your whole body was covered with bruises and cuts." he sits back down.

"How is Minho doing, is he okay?" no one had talked about Minho even though he was the one to take you back to the Glade, you couldn't help but wonder what had happened to him.

"He was surprisingly okay, you were the only one hurt. He is not running today...do you want me to call him up here?" he explains, leaning back in his chair.

"Why hasn't he came up here yet on his own?" you ask, slightly hurt.

"he feels guilty for what happened to you, of course, he doesn't say that but he feels guilty" he explains, his voice soft and understanding. He pauses "I'll ask him to come up here"

Newt stands up and leaves the room, giving you one last glance before closing the door.

Newt is a very good friend of yours. Always there to help you, you always put a tough attitude but it seems like he always knows when something's bothering you. He is such an understanding person.

"Hey, Nerio" Newt wakes you up, shaking your shoulder slightly.

You had fallen asleep. You blink and stare at his brown eyes. Then look away to see Minho standing at the foot of the bed.

"Minho! You're okay!" you say excitedly, smiling from ear to ear. He just looks at you and then down again.

"I'm so sorry, Nerio...I-I should have been running in front of you-" he begins to apologize but you cut him off.

"Its okay Minho" you try to sit up but still can't.

"A little help?" you look up at Newt, who was lost in thought, staring at you.

"Oh yeah," he shakes his thoughts with his head and pulls you by your shoulders up so that you are sitting up.

You groan in pain and exhale. The pain much lesser than before. Minho immediately gets next to you.

"Are you okay?" he asks worriedly, putting his hand on your shoulder.

"I'm better than before so don't worry about it" You smile until the room gets awkward and you look down, fidgeting with your fingers.

"Well, I've got to get going," Newt says after a few seconds of silence.

"Come back after, we haven't had the chance to talk properly, okay?" you say as he walks off. He stops in front of the door and nods. His expression down, almost sad.

"What's up with him?" you ask Minho when Newt closes the door.

"He's been like that since you passed out the second time" He walks over to your other side to sit down.

"Why? is he okay?"

"I don't know man... He's been off since then" he scratches the back of his neck.

You and he continue to talk. He apologizes again in a more elaborate way. You try to stop him from saying sorry but he insisted. You reassure him that it wasn't his fault or anybody's, it was only the creator's fault for putting you here in the first place. After about half an hour of talking, Minho looks down at his watch and explains to you that he has to leave. They are holding a keeper's meeting and he has to be there.

You stare at the door. Trying to make it open with your mind. So much time alone only allowed you to overthink more than you usually do. Your memories, Gally, Newt, Grievers, future. Your mind kept going back to Gally and what you remembered of him, it seemed so ridiculous to be thinking about romance in such a situation. At least it would be nice to have something to look forward to the future though you think. But also any type of romance could cause a lot of trouble with the rest of the Gladers.

You suddenly hear the door open, you switch your gaze to the person coming in. You are surprised to see Stephen standing there with the grossest smirk on his face. He walks over to you and stares down at you.

"Well hello there, Nerio" he clicks his tongue and winks. He leans closer down next to you. He looks up and down at you and whistles.

"I would like to kindly ask you to fuck off" you put a plastic smile on your face, you stare at him with disgust.

"That's no way a lady should be talking to a man," he says with a more aggressive tone.

"I'm not talking to a man" you snap and look away to the closed door.

Stephen inhales sharply and then grabs your neck forcefully. His sudden aggression catches you off guard. What's the deal with this guy? one insult and he gets like this?
You let out a cough, try to fight back but you are far too weak at this point.

"Who do you think you are to talk to me like this?" he spits. Pulling you closer to his face, forcing you to look at him.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" he barks, squeezes your neck harder.

A tear falls down your face, you breathe rapidly but barely able to.

"I can't breathe" you manage to say.

"Too bad so sad," he mocks and laughs "maybe if you beg me to let you breathe I can let you" he waits for an answer but you don't say a word.

You lock eyes with him. Trying your best to maintain your composure. You are far too proud to beg him for mercy.

"Really? Nothing?" his grasp loosens slightly. He waits once again for a response. You decide to respond by spitting on his face.

He squints his eyes and wipes his face with his free hand and inhales sharply.

"You're gonna regret that" he lets you go and is about to punch you full force, you look up with your head up high and brace your self, ready to take the damage. He punches you once on your right cheek, making you look to your left, you spit blood and turn to him again, giving him a deadly stare. He sees your defiant look and punches you with all his body again closer to your eye. He gets ready to punch again, harder than before, suddenly the door opens.