Chapter Twenty Three

(WARNING: BRIEF make out scene toward the end so beware, still fluff but I felt like giving a warning would be appropriate.)

Later that night, Nerio was sitting on the grass leaning on a trunk a good 10 feet away from the crowd, generally ignoring everyone. Her back was hunched as she hugged her legs close to her chest. Minho, being her keeper, had insisted she took a break from map-making to enjoy the night with the rest of the gladers. Newt sat next to Nerio, silently raking sips from his drink for a few minutes before speaking.

"I saw Gally stomping out of the storage room after I left" he was looking at her side profile, she had not acknowledged him yet. He scanned her features, her eyes,  her nose, her lips, her skin, and the way they all blended together perfectly. She raised her eyebrows and shoulders in response.

"How has it been working on the maps? Killed ya brain yet?" He changed the subject,  seeing as it made her uncomfortable and reluctant to talk. He knew she'd be at least a little excited to talk about her new job.

"it was already dead" she smiled, a bit reluctantly, but she did.

"Maps are the worst of it. I'm sure the runners appreciate your help" he nudged her shoulder with his.

"Hmmm, maybe. But it takes all damned day putting it together with their shitty handwriting"

"Mm, true...better than sitting on the sweaty kitchen if you ask me though"

"That is true" she sat up and looked at him with a small smile on her face. Her eyes were still sad, he noticed.

He took a swig of the drink he held, she looked at him intently as he did.

"Don't even think I'm gonna let you that this stuff" he shook his head "Ya bloody drunkard" he knocked on her head twice.

"Wasn't gonna ask" she laughed.

They paused, looking at each other, his eyes flickered from each of her features, from eyes to lips a few times.

"How have you been, Newt? I'm sorry we haven't talked in so long-"

"Don't even mention it, kinda my fault honestly... I've been well, same old, same bloody old" Another swig of the alcohol.

"I don't mean to be intrusive, Nerio. But I was wondering..." Her heart skipped a beat, and she knew what question was coming. "Are you and gally dating?"

"No...not dating" she hugged her legs tighter and looked away from him again, hunching her back.

"But there's  something"

"Yes, or maybe...I... don't really know what we are or could be I guess." She paused and recalled the conversation she and gally had earlier. Looking down at the floor "I don't know that it matters in these circumstances. Dating would be...Impossible  in a world like this."

"Not impossible, Nerio"

"I don't know that I'd want to date him after what happened today"

"Do you want to explain?"

She shook her head.

"Are you okay, Nerio?" He places his hand gently on her shoulder and squeezes. He worried that Gally may have done something to hurt her or upset her like this.

"As good as one can be in circumstances like this" She looked up into the sky.

"Did he..." he began but didn't know where or how to finish his sentence.

"He didn't hurt me if that's what you're wondering." She figured he was worried.

He was at a loss for words, he wanted to hug her, comfort her to make her feel better, to treat her right, and show her love, but he knew that would have been inappropriate at a time like this. His hand fell from her shoulder back to his own lap. 

"Do you want to get out of here Newt?" she looked at him eyes glistening with the threat of tears that she had attempted to blink away.

"I do" He leaned back on the trunk.

"I do too, Newt." She leaned on the trunk as well.

Maybe it was in that moment that a glimmer of romantic feelings that she felt for Newt was born. Or maybe she had just realized it and they had been there all along which, she did not know yet. She figured it was probably the latter.

She leaned on him, trying to get some comfort for herself. She didn't think about how this made his heart skip and his hands tremble a little. Nerio was too focused on steadying her breathing to notice his accelerating. She thought about holding his hands to soother herself, but she feared that may cross the lines of the platonic realm, so she didn't. But he was aching to hold her hands in his and tell her that it was all going to be okay.

____________________________________

I roll over to my side and bump into him. He was awake, resting his head on his hand, his body on his side.
"You looked too comfortable to wake up" he smiles.
"Mmmmm....how long?" I turn to face him and take his hand and put it to my face, he caresses it as he speaks.
"Just about half an hour"
"What do you think? Should I get up or go back to sleep?"
"Sleep, it's 2 am" He placed his free hand on my head.
"It only seems fair you do too"
"If I do that, I have to go back to my bed"
"If that's the sacrifice I must make, then so be it" I smile.
Before he gets the chance to get up I pull him in close, just before our lips meet "I love you" I breathe before indulging in a deep kiss.
his hand that was on my face reached around my head to pull me closer. I open my mouth a little, the kiss turns sloppy and wet. I dip my tongue in his mouth for just a second before pulling it back and nibbling on his lower lip. he does the same to my upper lip. We stay like this for a second more before I reluctantly pull away.
"We really should sleep"
"Yeah" he sighs and kisses my forehead before getting g up and settling on the bed below me. I roll to my belly and hold my hand out so he can grab it.
"Goodnight"
"Goodnight, y/n."

She wakes up sweating and hyperventilating, sitting up on the bed.

"Fuck" she curses under her breath, hands on her hair, she crashes back on the bed and peeks outside through the small window above her. The sun was on its way to rise, she figured that she'd start working right away.

A/N: I am honestly pretty excited for how the story is going, remember that if you like this story to please please vote and comment, they honestly make a world of a difference to writers, all the comments and votes that I saw when I logged back on are what made me want to continue this story after three years of not writing at all on Wattpad. This doesn't just go for me, but for every writer. 

Also can we alk about that pictire OMGGGGGG IM DEAD