Chapter Twenty Nine

"They're back!" She yelled causing everyone to rush back as she wan to Minho and Thomas, who carried Alby on their shoulders, she takes over for Thomas. giving him a break, they settle Alby down on the ground gently with the help of the keepers.

"Did you see a griever?" Asked Chuck, he asked with a certain hint of animation in his voice. He was excited that everyone came back after being told multiple times to not have his hopes up.

"I saw one" Thomas replied, slightly out of breath.

"He didn't just see it, he killed it" Minho huffed, settling on the ground, surely worn out from exhaustion.

On the way back to the council hall to have a glade-wide meeting, Nerio stopped Minho.

"I'm going out there, where did he kill the griever?" Minho stopped and gave Nerio a certain look of "Are you fucking serious?" he didn't want her going out there, but before he could respond they were interrupted.

"Hey Minho" Hank, the other runner, no longer had his vest on "I quit." he handed his vest to Minho, who said nothing in return, rolling his eyes, as if he expected this to happen. Minho took Nerio by the arm and pulled her to the side.

"You're crazy" he whispered-yelled.

"We have a griever that's dead Minho, at times like this the best thing we can do is gather as much information as we can. We have no idea what comes next"

He sighed.

"Don't go out yet, stay for the meeting." He paused "I think the crazy shank may be wanting to get out too later."

"For 3 years, we have coexisted with these things. And now, you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us." Gally gives his speech to the glade. Nerio is buzzing with complex emotions. 

"We haven't been coexisting Gally, we have been surviving them. Do you want us to punish the guy who killed the monsters that have been terrorizing us for years? The guy who saved our leader. Is that your plan?"

"He broke the rules, he needs to be punished" chatter springs up in the room upon his statement. Nerio shakes her head, maintaining her eye contact with Gally. Her head burns, as does his, he cannot understand why she can't just take his side for once, why she always has to go against him. She wonders how he can be so stuck up on himself and this glade.

Newt calls for Minho's opinion, he thinks Thomas should be made a runner after showing his bravery/stupidity. He'd stayed behind to help Alby while he ran. Making him a runner had the people going in two separate directions. Gally begins to speak again with authority but gets cut off by the loud ringing of the box coming up, the unforgettable alarm ringing in all their ears. Gally and Newt arrive first at the box, Gally opens it Nerio and Newt go down to see.

"It's a girl" Newt looked at Nerio.

The girl was sleeping but regained consciousness for a few seconds. He recognized Thomas, completely not helping his case of innocence, Nerio was rooting for Thomas. In many ways, he reminded her of herself before she'd become jaded by the maze. The girl was transported to the Medjack's workplace, where Alby was also at. Nerio was walking to the storage room to get some things before going back out to the maze hopefully soon. She was stopped by Gally.

"You're not thinking of going out to the Maze, are you?" he stopped right in front of her, she tried to dodge him but he kept blocking her.

"I am, Gally. This is an incredible opportunity we have here." she protested, looking up at him defiantly.

"An opportunity to get us all killed!" He yelled "To get yourself killed"

"I'd rather die looking for freedom than die of old age a prisoner." She persisted "Get out of my way" she took steps closer to Gally, her chest brushing against his upper stomach, she hoped he would step back, but he didn't.

"Let me go, you can't stop me, Gally. Please" for a second she could have sworn she had sen his features soften, perhaps he even contemplated running to the maze himself to keep her safe. But he was stubborn, he had decided what his stance on the situation was and he wasn't backing down. This sudden change of pace in his life terrified him to his core, he couldn't deal with the thought of how everything could disappear, how she could get stung by a griever at any moment out in the maze if she chooses to go out there. Before he can get a word in to express if maybe just a fraction of his feelings, they get interrupted.

"Nerio!" it was Minho's voice from their right, jogging toward them along with Frypan, Zart, and Winston, Minho waved for her to come. She turned and began jogging toward them but Gally grabbed her wrist.

"Stop." He said, pure authority resounding from his voice, this angered her, she tried to snatch her hand away but he tightened his grip. Hard.

The group that followed Minho was slowly approaching, not wanting to interrupt, but unaware of the situation Nerio was in.

"That hurts!" she shrieked, still trying to walk away, but he only seemed to hold on to her tighter. He was slowly bruising her without noticing, tears of pain began forming. In the heat of anger and pain, she slapped him across the face as hard as she could manage, hurting her own free hand in the process. His grip loosened and allowed her to run away as fast as she could to her friends. 

I'm a gally apologist sorry oops big surprise, but damn he hurt our girlie Nerio, what an ass. ALSO, yall's comments give me life bro...and it also reminds me to upload cuz otherwise my dumb ass WILL forgetti.