Esther did not fight back. "Athena, I am truly sorry for what I've done. But I've come to tell you that my time is ending." Her grip tightened. "I'm dying."

Athena's grip instantly loosened and her hand fell to her side. She took a step back and if she were still human, she probably would've cried. But she wasn't, she never would be. Esther was lying, she had to be. There was no way she was dying, it just didn't make sense.

"How? You said Ayana preserved your body with a spell."

Esther pushed herself off the wall and began to walk to the couch. "She did. I'm drawing my power from the Bennett witch line. When Abby died the connection was severed. So my body has weakened."

A scoff sounded through the room as the daughter shook her head, laughing humorlessly. "Oh really? And you've come to what? Spout that crap that you love me and that you're sorry? Or that this had to be done?"

"It did." She rolled her eyes in response. "And you will understand that when you find him. You can leave now and go to him."

The hybrid glared. "Yeah, maybe I will. But right now my family needs me. Oh, wait. Let me guess, you know where he is and you've come to tell me in hopes of me running into his arms, abandoning my siblings so you can finish what you started." She raised a hand in a mocking manner. "How did I do?"

Esther shook her head, sighing. "I do know where he is. But you have to trust me first."

"No."

The mother stepped toward her and took her hands in her's. "I'm sorry, Athena. I truly am."

Despite everything, Athena felt tears fill her eyes. This was her mother. Even after everything she's done, losing her would mean that she no longer had a parent to confide in. She would no longer have any parents. When her tear fell and hit the floor with a light tap, Esther began to shake.

Not long after that, she fell to the ground, dead. Athena slowly knelt next to her body. Klaus and Rebekah entered the room and saw the scene. They both looked taken aback, their eyes wide in shock.

"What's going on?" Klaus asked, his voice just a tad bit above a whisper.

Athena looked up at them. "She's dead."

Rebekah didn't know how to respond, neither did Klaus. So the silence stretched on once more. It was strange because that's all it ever seemed to be.

Silence

———

They left Esther there while they left. Klaus and Rebekah got Athena out of the house and took her to the Boarding House where Stefan was waiting for Alaric's alter-ego to appear, revealing the location of the last white oak stake.

Athena had pushed the incident out of her mind and focused on the problem at hand which evidently was the issue of the white oak stakes. They entered the resident quietly and entered the parlor. Patiently they listened as Stefan interrogated Alaric in the cellar.

"Tell me where the stake is before I kill you," Stefan threatened.

In response, the alter-ego laughed. "You know you're all gonna burn. Ashes to dust."

Stefan didn't take that and then began to hit Alaric repeatedly. Athena was already bored and rolled her eyes, casting a glance over at her siblings who looked equally as bored.

"Where's the stake?!" Stefan yelled. He grabbed Alaric into a chokehold. "I'm gonna kill you in three...two...one."

And that's when they got their answer. "It's in the cave. Where no vampire can get it."

The Mikaelson siblings looked at one another with smirks. Stefan appeared in the entryway of the parlor, texting on his phone. He looked up suddenly and turned to see them.

"Thanks for the help, Stefan," Athena said.

Stefan put his phone away and stood with a straight face. Klaus went over and poured himself a drink while Rebekah went and grabbed Alaric from the basement. He had blood coating his entire face and Athena pushed away her craving.

The girl made an overexaggerating wince. "Wow, that's a bit much, don't you think, Stefan? You could have been a bit nicer."

Rebekah spoke up, still holding Alaric. "I'm gonna take him to the caves." She looked at him. "You're gonna go inside and fetch me the stake and if you think you're gonna hide, you're wrong."

She pushed Alaric out of the room and left with him. The three were left alone and Klaus finished off his drink before walking to the door. "Come on, Athena."

Athena stayed in her place. "Actually, I'll meet up with you at home. I need to have a word with Stefan."

Her brother looked like he was going to argue, but then saw the look she gave and then nodded, leaving the house. Stefan turned to look at her and Athena crossed her arms over her chest. "If you want to kill me get on with it."

The hybrid gave a slight shake of her head. "I'm not going to kill you." She took a step toward him. "Do you know why I removed you from my pack?" He didn't respond. "Because you hurt my family.

She began to walk to the fireplace and continued talking. "Ever since I was brought back things haven't been the same. My family is my pack and when they hurt, I hurt. Esther keeps telling me that my "soulmate" is out there and that I need to find him." She turned to him. "My family has done terrible things and I get that. But they're my family. And don't think I won't fight for them with everything I have. If I lose another member of my pack, I will ruin you."

And without another word, Athena brushed past him. Stefan didn't turn to watch her leave because he couldn't bring himself to. Because he felt guilty.

———

It was loud when he entered, though it never did surprise him. But what did he expect? The bar wasn't exactly the quietest place in New Orleans and now that he thought of it, the only quiet place was the bayou.

He sat down at the bar and ordered a bourbon. A shadow appeared next to him and he let out an unamused laugh. "I thought I made myself clear, Marcel. I want nothing to do with this city."

Marcel sat next to him and grinned. "Aw come on, Thomas. I get it. You want to find your girl and make a nice pack of werewolves. But my guys are worried. Why don't we make a deal?"

Thomas received his drink and then downed it. He looked over at Marcel and set the glass down. "Depends on what you have to offer."

"I can help you find her. But in return, you have to stay in New Orleans, keep the werewolves in line and I promise, once we find her, the two of you can live here. I'll even remove the spell on the wolves. The two of you can rule over them and we can be allies."

Thomas laughed again. "Right. And what's in it for you? The wolves no longer hold a grudge against you and you're in the clear?" He slapped down the money on the bar and stood up. "Thanks for the offer Marcel, but when I find her, I'll do whatever she wants. I'm not forcing her to rule in a city where she might not be happy."

The wolf got up and left the bar. Marcel watched him leave and one of his guys came over to him. "Did he take the deal?"

Marcel shook his head and didn't look at him. "No. But he will."

———

Short chapter! Sorry guys!

Remember To Vote On This Chapter

Comment Your Thoughts

And Follow Me For Updates!