nine

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Nothing Human Left

━━━━━━━━

THE SKY WAS STARTING TO grow dim but she didn't mind. Athena adored the scent of the forest and the sounds of the wind blowing through the trees and the animals scurrying around. It brought back memories of the times when she and her siblings would run through the forest or play hide-n-seek. She felt something tickle her cheek and opened her eyes to see a butterfly atop her ear, its wings brushing against her cheek. Athena smiled and used her finger to get the little creature onto it. The beautiful blue and black butterfly flapped its wings and seemed unafraid of her. Then she put her hand out and the butterfly flew away.

Klaus and Stefan were just behind her, watching her child-like reactions. Stefan knew that it would take some time for the young girl to adjust to the 21st century. She was a 13-year-old hybrid who's family was the oldest vampires in the world. She still clung to the child part of her despite her being part of the supernatural. And Stefan hoped she didn't lose that part of herself.

Klaus was thinking the same thing, him not knowing Stefan was too. Not a day in his immortal life had he not thought about his youngest - and precious - sister. Neither did any of the other Mikaelson siblings. She was innocent and she was pure. He wanted to protect her from the evil in the world but knew that meant protecting her from himself.

Stefan grunted from carrying Ray and Klaus looked at him with a mocking smirk.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?"

Stefan rolled his eyes as he continued walking. "I'm fine."

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down-"

"You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great."

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

Athena turned to her brother with a glare.

"Maybe it's because he's tired Nik. We've been hunting werewolves all summer," Athena defended.

"Well thanks to our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack," her brother reminded. He pointed forward. "There."

They all stop and the scent of werewolves fill their noses. Stefan forced a cringe away and Athena's nose wrinkled. Klaus was unaffected and his victorious smirk stayed in place. The three of them enter the camp and upon their entering, the pack looks up at them. Stefan threw Ray on the ground and a woman rushed over to him with concern. She bent beside Ray and shook him.

"Ray! Oh, my God." She looked up at the three and Athena tilted her head slightly, narrowing her eyes at the woman. "What's going on? Who are you?" the woman questioned.