four

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Protecteur De Meute

━━━━━━━━

11th Century

The Mikaelson siblings were something of a dream. Even before they were turned something about them made people turn their heads to watch. Perhaps it was the elegant way they moved through the village, their musical laughter filling the air. And even though their father was known for being temperamental, the siblings' ability to draw people in never swayed. Maybe it was the way they moved or their laughter, possibly the way they were all tied together. You rarely ever saw one of them alone. And you most certainly would never see Athena Mikaelson by herself without an escort. It didn't matter where they were going, the Mikaelson siblings were always together.

One day, a few villagers caught sight of Athena running past. At first glance, their eyes widened because could it be that she was alone? Then they saw the other female child, Rebekah, standing and watching her little sister with a soft smile. Her hand outstretched, locking their hands together gently. Onlookers turned away no longer interested in what was happening. They should've known better than to think the young girl would be alone for long.

"Athena," Rebekah hummed softly to her twelve-year-old sister.

The younger girl looked up at her through her dark lashes. "What is it?"

"Niklaus thinks that us girls can't beat him at a race."

She moved to the side so her sister could see their three brothers, Niklaus, Elijah, and Kol standing nearby. Kol chuckled once he saw the indignant look on Athena's face. Niklaus smirked, crossing her arms over his chest. He knew just how much it displeased the only girls of the family when they were told they couldn't do something. Women weren't nearly as strong as men, that is what they were told in their time.

"Fine then. Why don't we race?" Athena challenged him, smirking.

Kol and Elijah chuckled from their brother's side. They knew for certain that Niklaus was destined to lose. After all, if anyone went up against their sisters, the ending was never good. Both were competitive when called for. "Oh this is going to be good," Kol grinned.

Niklaus smirk grew. "A race it is."

The Mikaelson siblings walked gracefully to their meadow they found themselves in nearly every day. Villagers watched them past, in a daze until they were out of sight. Something about the family was just intriguing, perhaps mysterious in some' eyes. But you see, that wouldn't make sense because the Mikaelson siblings were just an ordinary family. Sure, their mother was blessed with the power of nature and they would no doubt inherit her trait, besides that, nothing was different. Yet it was.