Ridec stretched his body and tried to make himself comfortable, he hadn’t realized just how tired he was as well.  It was worth it nevertheless, he had learnt a lot about the illness.  The answer was in the brain of the babies, the clean babies.

He had always known that babies’ brains were different; babies had the greatest potential to learn and that made them very different.  The numbers of neurotransmitters in a baby’s brain was somehow reducing the possibility of the baby being able to contract the illness, but how could one replicate the transmitters to help adults fight the illness?

“Grrrrrr….”

Ridec jumped to his feet, a slow dirty looking man was sauntering towards him, his hair was long and clumped together with dirt; Ridec couldn’t decipher what color it had originally been and half of his lip was missing.

“Wake up!”  Ridec screamed, somehow this zombie had managed to enter their sleeping quarters without anyone knowing.  Who had been on lookout?

There was a crazy scramble, screams, shouts as everyone hustled to their feet; this creature was not alone there were ten more with him.

“They must have gotten in the same way the woman did,” Linda yelled drawing a blade and pressing it into the skull of a little girl reaching a hand out towards her.

“More are coming, we have to get out of here, it’s too dark to fight them,” Kent instructed.

“We can’t go outside,” Mary protested.

“Upstairs, upstairs to the lab and we seal ourselves in until morning,” Kent responded.

“Our food,” Linda grunted gripping a pregnant zombie by the hair, the hair came out in her hands and the zombie pressed forward towards her.

“Kent is right, there are over thirty of them now.  Ridec, follow me,” Jessell instructed.

“Pete, where’s Pete and Rea?”  Ridec asked falling obediently in line behind Jessell.

“We’ll get them on the way out,” Jessell said hurrying forward and decapitating zombies as she moved.  “There, grab Pete.”

Pete was curled up under a desk his small body crushed against a wall and the knife in his hand swinging wildly at the zombie that was trying to reach under the desk to grab him.

“Ridec!”  Rea came racing towards them.

“Fall in behind us,” Jessell instructed taking her daggers and putting an end to the persistent creature that was still trying to grab Pete.

“Kyle…”  Rea started to say as she too fell in obediently behind Jessell.

“Oh my gosh, I think they got him,” Ridec said slapping at the mechanism on his hand and pointing it again towards the creature.  “It’s not working.”

“Just stay down,” Jessell screamed racing across the room towards Kyle, Ridec was right, they had gotten him, he was still lashing out at the creature but there was a large bite on his arm and blood was flowing everywhere.

“Ahhhh!” Jessell yelled again as she slashed the throat of one but another came up behind and grabbed her shoulders.  She tried to turn but another on the ground had gripped her ankle and another had managed to get hold of her shirt.  “Run Ridec, get out of here, run!”

She was screaming at the top of her lungs, she wasn’t going to be able to escape, there were too many of them and they were closing in on her and more of them were coming.  She saw another one take a bite out of Kyle’s shoulder and he yelled dropping the knife he had been using to protect himself with to the ground.  He was succumbing to his injuries and pretty soon he would be one of those things and she would have to try to kill him too.