chapter 4: Funeral

[TW: Mentions of self-harm]

Virgil's POV

It has been a little over a week. Y/n has barely left her room to eat, talk, or even take care of herself. In some cases, she allows me to be there for her, to bring her food, water, and to help her with whatever the case may be.

Recently, however, she had just become a turtle, hiding into her shell.

As I look into the mirror, I see how odd it is to wear something fairly recent; like a suit. Her father's funeral is today and, Y/n was supposed to get ready today. Seeing her like this pains me than anybody will ever know. I make my way up the stairs and towards her room, subtly knocking against the wood to not scare her.

"Hey, can I come in?", my voice slips out softly. Clenching my jaw slightly since I was not used to really being so caring straightforwardly.

"Come in." Hearing her voice from the other end was my kryptonite. Even in her tone, she hasn't changed since she had received the news. Turning the knob to let the door creak open, I notice Y/n in her black dress, sitting on the floor beside her bed. Her arms laid against the edge of the sheets as her head rested on her forearm.

"You ready?". I stay my distance to not overwhelm the poor girl. I see her slowly shake her head 'no' which made me confused more than ever.

"I don't think I can go..", she blubbered. "I cannot stand to see my dad go into a casket, and get buried under six-feet into the ground."

I understand her reasoning but, it's her father. It's not like there will be other ones out there. I can be by her side, even if she tries to push me away, I'll be like her brick wall. Always something she can lean on, I guess.

"L-listen," I get onto the ground beside her, leaving some space so that I could stare at her beautiful side profile.

"I u-understand what i-it is like to lose someone close, it hurts, very much so. However, even at the darkest times, there is always a brighter light."

"And how will I find that light? I don't think I can just get over this easily." She states.

"You don't need to r-right now. What you need to do, is grief. It hurts but, once you get over that process, you-". My brows narrow at a little faint, pink streak on her arm.

My actions overpowered me as I snatch her wrist from beside her figure and rolled up her sleeves. 

"What is t-this?", my heart pounded against my ribcage harshly. Red and pink, newly fresh and olden scars, painted up and down her wrists. 

"Virgil.." Y/n tried snatching her arm out of my grip but, my fingers coiled tightly around her wrist.

"When?". My jaw clenched. Dammit, Y/n. You cannot do this. You cannot do this to someone you love. But, I can't think like this. She's going through something, and all I can do right now is to be by her side. Besides, not like she is the only one who is going through something, or went through something.

Adding in self-pity, dis-acknowledging the fact that someone is hurting, is even more pain than what you go through. It's like adding lemon juice to a cut. It burns you in an unreasonable amount of pain.

My fingers loosen around her arm to which she quickly retracted back, holding onto her own wrist and pulling down her sleeve.

"Virgil, I'm so sorry-"

"Don't be.. you're going through something. You shouldn't apologize for being in a dark place right now." As I look into her eyes, her eyes appeared brighter than before, even if she had been sobbing for the past few days.

"What can I do to help?".

Y/n's hair was tangled, bags hanging from under her eyes, definitely a telling that she hasn't slept in a while. Suddenly, she collapsed onto my chest, wrapping her arms around my waist and tightening her hold.

I am for sure not used to this. Especially when this sudden embrace comes from her.

I place a hand on her back, my other on the floor to keep us up. Resting my chin on top of her head, she mumbles something which vibrated against my chest.

"Virgil, thank you."

"For what?" I try to look at her but, all I could look was beyond her since her face was snuggled against the crook of my neck, making me gain chills. How am I supposed to react to this?

'Y'all ready..". The door swung open with Patton standing in front of the frame. His eyes were wide with enthusiasm before until he saw the state Y/n and I were in. "Uh, did I interrupt something?"

"Yea, we're ready." Y/n stood up, wiping her eyes and extending her hand out to help me up. I was capable of picking myself up but, why not.

Standing up from her aid, she looked at me as if she was about to punch me in the face. Only did I notice her hand on my forearm with my sleeve upwards. She saw them too. Pulling my sleeve down, I grin at Patton slightly. 

"Yea, we're ready.."