The one thing that didn't get taken away by the technology and power outrage is the stove and I couldn't be more thankful. At least the witches, or whoever's idea it is to remove all technology and power, had the heart to leave them with something for cooking.

On the table is a tray full of chocolate chip cookies. On the head table is my other brother with chocolate smeared all over his cheeks and mouth. By the granite countertop is none other than my mother, putting hot water for a tea.

"Mother, it's the end of the world and you are eating cookies and drinking tea."

A line that I never thought I would ever say.

As soon as her light blue eyes found me, I saw confusion in them. Confusion and relief. No fear or disgust, which is what I was bracing myself for. She had ditched her tea, putting it down the table before walking over to me. Her eyes scanned me up and down before pulling me into the tightest embrace I've ever had.

The purple collar of the witches shined on her olive skin. That was all it took for me to let out a sob. Tears fell from my face to her shirt as I couldn't help but break down in her arms. "Ma. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Sorry for not checking up on them sooner. Sorry for not being there for them at these days. Sorry for not being good enough to stop the witches. Sorry for bringing them into this insane mess.

Keeping a hand on my shoulders, she extended her arms to give me a smile. "I'm glad you're here, Rami." The tears didn't stop. "Red is a good color." She ran a soft hand on my cheek. I didn't put on contact lenses and glasses to cover my new appearance. "You look good, honey." She then tilted her head and looked behind me. "And hello again! Idris, was it?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you for taking care of my son."

Turning my head, I caught my twin brothers ignoring us completely, all their attention on finishing the cookies.

"Glad to be at his side."

"Come. Sit." Mom gestured at the wooden chairs surrounding the dining table. "Tea?"

"Please."

I glanced at Idris as he sat down next to Theodore, who shot him a big smile, showing off his chocolate covered teeth. "How'd you get red eyes?"

"How can I get them?" Demitri immediately followed the question, beaming at the prince. "I like that color better."

"I think blue-green is a lovely eye color."

As I sat down next to Demitri, across Idris, mom turned her head towards me. She gave me a grin that looks an awful lot like Theo's. Even though Theodore and Demitri are twin brothers, their appearance are a little different. Theo got more of mom's looks, having slightly darker skin and lighter, wavy hair while Demitri and I got a lighter tone and darker locks, thanks to our shitty father.

Right after mom sat down and all of us are seated in the kitchen table, I told her everything. Starting from Lysander's story to my own. From Drew and I leaving school, fighting the government, saving Lysander and me getting killed. For a moment, I had to pause. She held a breath and her face reddened at the mention of my death. Then, Idris continued the rest of the story, starting with what he did, turning me into one of them, a vampire, then our trip to Europe and our encounter with witches, hybrids and hunters. About how the witches taking over West Grove and other little towns, controlling humans little by little, until they took a big step ahead and controlled the entire country. We told her everything.

I could see from her eyes that she's really worried and of course, terrified, but she didn't want to show it. Not in front of Theo and Demitri. The two boys didn't understand how serious the situation is, but I'm almost glad they don't. I'd hate to see the light in their eyes disappear because of me.