26. New Jersey

RAMI

***

Idris and I watched as Miles was forced to fall to his knees, screaming. Humans were told to kneel and Miles refused. And the consequence of the defiance is torture. Torture until they command, or torture until death. We had been too late to stop the witches. I don't know how they did it, but they've won. We couldn't stop them and now they have control of the humans in the country.

The leader of this land is dead. The White House from Damariz' memories. The Witches. The invisible wall that prevented the 13 from firing spells at the White House. And Drew.

Everything hit me all at once.

The witches tried to get in the White House to kill the president. If the leader of the country is gone, they get to take over. However, they couldn't get in the house because there must be some sort of protection around it. There is a protection spell that prevented them from entering The White House. And I recalled the book that I read from the wolf cave. It said that there are certain types of spells, curses, and hexes that can only be removed or undone by the same witch who cast them, due to blood magic. The protection spell must have been done with blood magic and the 13 cannot break in because of it. The only one who can remove that protection spell is the witch who cast it, or whoever carries her bloodline. And that's where Drew comes in. It's the only way that the witches finally got in to kill the president. She must have shared the bloodline with the witch who cast the protection spell at The White House. She is a descendant of that witch, and so the 13 wanted her to remove the protection spell, just so they can get rid of the country's leader. It would make sense. Drew is taken and suddenly, the witches were able to take control of the country? It has to be because of her bloodline. That's why the witches wanted her in the first place. That's why they couldn't kill her. Why they waited long to get her is another question, but it doesn't matter.

The witches won. We were too late.

Miles, despite having magic in his blood, is only a descendant and not a pure blood witch. He's still human.

Every single human being in the country is in the same condition as Miles. Collared. Controlled by witches. Every human. That includes Eva, the hunters, Doctor Maxine, Enoch, Nina, and most of all, my mother and my siblings.

"Oh, god."

Tears blocked my vision, feeling the world spinning. My chest tightened at the thought of my family in the hands of these monsters. I have to go to them. I need to see them. Now. "I need to go."

The vampire beside me held my hand tightly. "I'm going with you."

***

Every single human we passed had that stupid purple collar. Idris and I carried Miles as we run all the way to New Jersey, arriving at dawn. Almost everyone is outside, apart from police officers and firefighters ready to serve, and people who couldn't careless about the situation. When I finally stepped a foot passed the white fences that encloses the pale yellow house, I forgot how to breathe. Every step I took towards the brown door, the stronger the fear inside me got. When I reached the door, I froze completely. It was Idris who knocked and I almost felt bad at how tight I was holding his hand.

The door opened just wide enough for a small face to pop out. A tiny human with brown curly hair and bright green eyes innocent of the evilness in the world he lives in. The sight of the purple ring of light circled around his neck was a stab at my heart. I let this happen. I was too late.

"Rami!" He opened the door wider, letting himself out and run straight to hug my waist. "Mom! Mom! Look!" I was then dragged inside the house by my little brother. Idris and Miles followed, closing the door behind them. Before I could even enter the kitchen, I caught one of my favorite scents in the world.