Chapter Four-Leo's P.O.V

Leo stood in a pegasus stall, facing a peryton. Looking at the sharp claws on its back legs, all Leo could think was please don't kill me, please don't kill me, please don't kill me.

"Epsilon said you might talk to me. I'm Leo. Leo Valdez." He managed.

"I don't usually speak to ordinary demigods, son of Hephaestus, but you intrigue me." The peryton said in a deep voice.

"How did you know I'm a son of Hephaestus?" Leo asked. Omikron tilted his antlered head.

"Perytons are ancient, wise creatures. We have learned how to recognize certain traits in humans over the centuries. Look at your shirt...it is smudged with ash. Your hands are dirty. There is a toolbelt around your waist. There are a few sparks in your hair." Leo patted his curly head in embarrassment. "I don't know what other demigods would walk around looking like this besides a son of Hephaestus."

"Was that an insult?" Leo frowned.

"Only if you don't like the way you look. Since you have not washed your hands and do not seem to be embarrassed by this, I will assume you like your unique style."

"Do you know a lot about Everett and Jordyn?" Leo asked.

"I do not speak to Jordyn, but Everett is a kind soul. I have noticed how well he balances his sister, who can be quite rash. He is the wiser of the pair, the more thoughtful one." Omikron said.

"What were they questing for?"

"I am not allowed to say, and I think perhaps you would rather not know."

"What happened to the third member of the group?" Leo questioned. Omikron brayed softly.

"Pompeiian demigods quest in pairs, accompanied by two perytons. There was no third member."

"Oh," Leo said awkwardly. "Can you tell me anything about the silver you guys use? It might help me with fixing your chariot."

"It is called Eternal silver. It is not as durable as Celestial bronze or as deadly as Imperial gold, but it is far more magical. Weapons made of it are easily enchanted. I wouldn't worry about the chariot...there is nothing special about it." Omikron assured him.

"That's good," Leo muttered thoughtfully.

"However, I do ask that you hurry. The twins have important news they can not share with anyone until they discuss it with the Great Gods of Pompeii. If they do not make it home in time, the demigods of Camp Pompeii will be in grave danger." Leo's blood ran cold.

"Why can't they tell us?" He asked. "We could help them." Omikron snorted and stamped a hoove.

"It is our custom. The Gods demand to be the first to know of all news so that they can discuss what to do about it." Leo nodded.

"Okay." He said. "I'll try to fix the chariot quickly. How much time do I have?"

"Two days, if you want to be safe," Omikron advised. Leo whistled.

"I guess I'd better get on that. Thanks for talking to me." Omikron bowed his head and Leo exited the stall.

(Y/n) was waiting just outside the stables.

"Omikron says we need to get the chariot fixed in two days."

"What?!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "Can you do it that fast?" Leo shrugged.

"I can, but I'm worried that Chiron and the other campers won't want Jordyn and Everett to leave until they talk more about who they are and what they're doing here. But there's a catch; Omikron told me the twins have some super important information or something but they can't tell anyone else until the talk to their gods about it." He explained. (Y/n) groaned and facepalmed.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" She asked.

"Probably."

"You want to sneak the twins out once you finish their chariot."

"You guessed it, and I'll need your help. The information seemed really important. We need to get them somewhere where they can talk to their dad or whatever." (Y/n) looked a little freaked out. "Hey, it's going to be okay," Leo assured her, pulling her into a hug.

"It's just...Leo...the last time we went on a quest, it didn't go so well for either of us. I got stuck in an underground cage fighting monsters, and then you had to scare me to death by getting thrown off the ship-"

"Sorry," Leo said, a crooked grin on his face. (Y/n) locked eyes with him.

"I still have nightmares about it."

"I know. So do I. You know what I dream about?" Leo asked.

"Drowning in the ocean?"

"No. I dream that when I bust open those arena doors, you're already dying on the floor. When I run to your side, you die in my arms. I'm not fast enough to save you. Do you know how hard that is to watch? Seeing your dead, broken body?" (Y/n) said nothing for a moment.

"I'm glad you didn't die on me, Valdez."

"Me too, Bubbles," Leo told her, giving her a quick kiss. "I'll keep you safe, I swear."

"I'll probably end up having to keep you safe." (Y/n) retorted. Leo smiled.

"Maybe."