Chapter One-Your P.O.V

You combed your hair as you waited for Leo to arrive. He was late, as usual.

Today, you were taking Leo pegasus riding. Since he was more suited to mechanical traveling, you decided to help him with riding living creatures. As a daughter of Poseidon, you had a natural bond with the winged horses.

The sound of a knock alerted you and you opened the door to your cabin.

"You're late, Valdez." You told your boyfriend. Leo shrugged.

"You're not ready." He said, pointing at the brush in your hand, which you promptly threw behind you.

"I am now." You said with a grin.

The two of you began to walk toward the stables.

"Do I have to ride one?" Leo complained. "The last time I tried, I swear it was trying to buck me off the entire time."

"It could probably smell your fear."

"Could it?!" Leo exclaimed. You smiled.

"Maybe."

When you reached the stables, you fed the pegasus you usually rode a sugar cube. Percy usually rode Blackjack, but you preferred Soldier, an elegant white pegasus with one blue eye and one hazel eye.

Don't let Blackjack see you. He'll want one too. He always wants my sugar cubes, Soldier told you. You laughed and stroked his neck.

"I won't." You assured him. Leo cleared his throat.

"You know, to me, it looks like you're having a one-sided conversation with a winged horse." He said. You rolled your eyes as you went to find a pegasus for Leo.

"Leo, come meet this one." You called, standing next to a palomino. "Her name's Nectar."

"For her sweet personality?" Leo said hopefully, approaching the pegasus. Nectar sniffed his hair and snorted.

He smells bad. She complained.

"Oh, it can't be that bad." You said. "I'm teaching him how to fly pegasi. Can he ride you?"

Sure. As long as he doesn't yank on my mane.

"Thanks. Try to go slow, okay? He's just a beginner." You told her.

Fine. Leo clapped his hands.

"So, when do we take off?" He asked with a grin. You could see he was terrified in his eyes.

"As soon as you learn how to get on a pegasus properly."

It took about twenty minutes to actually get Leo onto Nectar and into the air.

"Don't yank on her mane!" You reminded him, leaping onto Soldier and soaring upwards.

You relished the wind in your face. The further you went from underground, the better, even if Zeus wasn't a fan of you. Two months ago, Gaea had trapped you in an underground cage and forced you to fight to the death multiple times. Even though Leo had eventually rescued you, the experience had left you traumatized, claustrophobic, and afraid of going underground. You still had frequent flashbacks and nightmares.

"And I thought you were crazy when you hung off the side of my ship!" Leo screamed, his arms wrapped around Nectar's neck.

"Just don't look down!" You encouraged him. Leo closed his eyes. You groaned.

"You still have to look in order to steer her."

"She can take me anywhere she wants!" Leo insisted.

If he keeps strangling me like this, it'll be the lake. Nectar huffed.

"Nectar says to loosen your grip!" You told your boyfriend over the wind in your ears, putting the pegasus's comment more mildly.

"She's trying to buck me off, isn't she?"

Not yet, Nectar grumbled.

Hey, what's that over there? Soldier asked you, pointing his nose to a shape on the horizon. After a moment, you realized it was a chariot.

It was also falling out of the sky.

"Go over there!" You ordered the pegasi. "Hold on, Leo!" Leo's screech fell away in the wind as the two winged horses dove toward the descending chariot.

The chariot leveled out at the last second but still had a very bumpy landing. You landed and coughed, brushing dust and dirt out of your face that was in the air after the impact. When the cloud of it cleared, you gasped.

Before you was a completely wrecked silver chariot. It was different from the ones at camp...a lot longer, almost resembling a rowboat on wheels. The two animals pulling it were nothing like you'd ever seen. They looked like large stags, except their back legs were like an eagle's and the extravagant tail of a peacock. And wings. Enormous, brightly-colored wings.

Then there were the two kids that tumbled out of the crippled vehicle.

They were maybe fourteen and looked like they'd been in the wilderness for a while. The girl's pants had what looked like claw marks in them and she was supporting the boy, who was gingerly holding his left leg off the ground.

At the sight of you and Leo, the girl drew a silver khopesh.

"Who're you?" She called. Her voice was hoarse. Leo disembarked Nectar with a brief struggle, and you followed suit.

"What happened to you two?" Leo asked, his eyes wide. The girl lifted her khopesh higher.

"Answer me first. Are you Greeks? Romans? Allies?" You cleared your throat.

"We're Greek demigods, and hopefully allies as well." The girl sighed in relief and sat her companion on the ground.

"Thank the Gods." She muttered. "My name is Jordyn Crane, and this is my brother, Everett. We're children of the god Virris."

"Hi." The boy croaked from the ground. Leo frowned.

"Who?" He asked. "I've never heard of Virris." Jordyn groaned.

"They didn't pass the story on, I take it?" She commented, sheathing her weapon.

"I'm confused." You said. "What story?" Jordyn shook her head.

"Everett needs medical attention, our ride is wrecked, and our perytons are exhausted. We need some help, then I'll explain it all later. I swear it on Niell's good heart."

"Whoever that is." You muttered to Leo, who was struggling to remount Nectar. He nodded.

"This is way better than pegasus riding."