Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Hello Marquis" the two girls said flirtatiously, proceeding to introduce themselves.

I forgot their names almost immediately, bored by their pushy advances. I talked with the man, whom I learned was the mayor; and also Adrienne's father. I was polite despite my blood boiling in me... this was her father who had hurt her.

The man that sent her crying to me; if you could even call him a man.

After he left, I humored the girls for a bit until I found her.

Adrienne.

My eyes locked with her as she stood alone, wearing a beautiful white gown and masque. She was an angel. How fitting.

Instantly disguarding the annoying girls that tittered at my side, touching me incessantly, I headed towards her.

She looked surprised at that.  Curtsying once I reached her, I was taken aback by her introduction.

  "Hello Monsieur, it quite seems you are the man of the hour".

I almost laughed at that. She sure had a bold streak.

"Oui, Mademoiselle"  I replied laughing.

I commented about herself.

"I am hardly a lady Monsieur" she answered smirking, much to my surprise.  It seemed that what she had implied didn't register until seconds later.

  "No! T-that's hardly what I meant" she stammered. Amusement twinged through me, seeing her so flustered was endearing.

Introducing myself using my alias, she enquired about the name. I was surprised, It was uncommon for females to have such a broad range of knowledge.

"Impressive," I thought to myself.

  "I'm sure you've met my sisters Mar- Azreal. Marie and Elizabeth are very beautiful".

I was taken aback at that. Those annoying blonds were her sisters? She was nothing like them.

I spoke to her for seldom five minutes before I was dragged away to dance by one of her sisters.

Leading her sister through the dance, I shrugged off her clingy attempts and ended the dance as quickly as possible.I noticed no men approached Adrienne to dance.

  "How was the dance?" she asked knowingly, once I had dismissed her sister.

I smirked at her. She was certainly a little spitfire. Quiet forward despite how coy her sisters pretended to art.

Hearing her snort, I started laughing. She was very different from the stuffy townsfolk.

"Will you give me the honour of a dance Angel?"  I asked her.

She answered me back with an equally witty response, informing me she didn't dance.

  "Can't or Won't?"  I questioned, amused.

I watched her pause before responding. "Can't".

Well that was certainly a surprise.