Chapter 5

Delilah's POV

“Ashton, you can't just take someone's coffee at Starbucks. That's stealing,” I tell Ashton as we sit on the curb, watching cars drive by. We do this a lot since there's not much to do around here. He counts the red cars, and I count the blue cars. Whoever counts the most, wins. But there's never a prize, so it's a pointless game. But we do it anyways.

“It's not stealing. It's selectively choosing who I'm going to be for the day. Today I am Tanya,” he says, reading the scribbled name on the cup. “I believe I am a twenty two year old with pink hair and big boobs. Maybe even a nose ring. Oh, maybe a belly button piercing! I come from Miami, and I had a rough life as a kid. But now I'm a stripper for this club downtown. Oh, and I have a boyfriend of two days, I'll probably dump him tomorrow.”

I roll my eyes. Only Ashton would think of a life story for the name on his coffee cup.

“So, tell me Tanya, what would you like to do today?”

“Well,” Ashton says in a girly voice, “I vote for mani pedis, and then we can go to the petting zoo to help endangered puppies!”

I muster a laugh at Ashton's goofiness. “You're such a weirdo! Why do I associate myself with you?”

“Because you love me,” he says cheesily, resting his head on my shoulder. I nudge him off and take a sip of his coffee. Or, Tanya's coffee.

“Tanya has good taste in coffee.”

Ashton smiles. “See, it's not such a bad idea after all.”

I punch his shoulder lightly, and he rubs it as if it hurt.

I've known Ashton almost my whole life. He lives two houses down from me, so I see him all the time. He's like a brother to me. He's been there for me through everything. Every girl needs a guy best friend, even if he is a little strange.

Ashton tosses the coffee in the trash and helps me up from the curb.

“Hey, isn't that Mr. Hemmings car?” I ask, pointing to the car across the street.

“How many times do I have to tell you he doesn't like being called that. His name is Andrew!” Ashton says laughing.

I shrug. “Now I just do it to annoy you,” I say smiling.

“I bet they're in Starbucks,” Ashton says.

“They? Who's they?” I ask. Does Mr. Hemmings have a new friend? That may happen to be a girl? Maybe it's Tanya.

As if to answer my question, Mr. Hemmings comes walking out of Starbucks with a familiar boy in front of him.

Well, I sure didn't expect that.

The boy has his head down as he drinks his coffee, but I see he has a lip ring. Where have I seen that lip ring before? He has a snapback on backwards and a plain black t-shirt. Some stray pieces of blonde hair are sticking out from his hat. He has to be at least six feet tall, maybe even more. And his jeans are skinnier than mine.

I've definitely seen this boy before. Boys like this are rare here. Everyone is always the same. He is definitely different.

“Hey guys!” Ashton says waving.

“Hi! Delilah, have you met Luke?” Mr. Hemmings asks as he approaches us.

The boy, Luke, looks up, and he has a shocked expression on his face. His blue eyes look nervous for some reason.

I've seen that face somewhere, but where?

“Nice to meet you, I'm Delilah.”

Luke bites on his bottom lip, and his eyes wander around.