Chapter Thirteen

We got home and Ian looked at me. "Why didn't you tell me when I asked?" He asked looking at me. I shrugged looking away from him. I went to open the door but he stopped me. "No, hey," he said grabbing the door and closing it then locking it. "Charlie, talk to me," he said as he kept a hold on my wrist. "No, Ian! I don't wanna talk about it!" I said and yanked my wrist away and unlocked my door and opened it. "Wait, Charlie!" Ian said getting out of the car and walked towards me as I walked away. "Charlie!" I looked back and Ian was jogging towards me. I rolled my eyes and stopped. "Bud, I need to know, what's wrong? You don't seem yourself today," he said. "I wanna be left alone," I said softly with my head down.

"Hey," he said softly, grabbing my chin and making me look at him. "Charlie, please, I need to know what's wrong!" He said. I glared at him and pushed his hand away from me. "Stop!" I said to him. "Stop acting like you care, when you don't!" I said, glaring at him. He looked shocked before I walked back towards the house. "Charlie?" I heard Ian. I ignored him and went up to my room. "What's his problem?" I heard Kyle asked. "I don't know," Ian sighed. I looked down and went to my room. I closed the door and laid on my bed and put my ear buds in. I sighed and closed my eyes.

I lay there and four or five songs played before someone pat my back. I opened my eyes and saw Ian crouching in front of my bed. I pulled my ear buds out and looked at him. "We need to talk," he said. I rolled my eyes and rolled over so my back was to him. I heard him sighed then the bed dip. "Charlie," he said leaning over my body to look at me. "Hey," he said and grabbed my arms and rolled me over to face him. "I need you to talk to me," he said. I didn't say anything but looked away. "Charlie?" Ian said. I didn't say anything and kept my gaze away from him. He sighed and let go of my arm and rubbed my cheek with his thumb.

"I'm sorry," I said. He looked at me. "For what baby?" He asked. A tear slipped my eye. "For being a disappointment and dragging you into my problems," he stood from the bed and grabbed my arms pulling me to sit up. "Look at me!" He said. I slowly look up at him. "You are not a disappointment! You didn't drag me into your life, I drug myself. I drug myself because I care about you and I want you safe and happy," he said. I looked down. He wiped the tear off my cheek and hugged me. "You know, when I met you, I knew you were amazing. I never thought you were this amazing," he said causing me to smile. I hugged him back and he rubbed my back.

"Let's go downstairs. Kyle might think we abandoned him!" Ian said. I chuckled and followed him downstairs were Kyle was dancing. Damn, he was good! "Wow!" Ian and I said when he finished. He looked at us and stopped the music. "Oh, uh, you saw that?" He asked scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah, dude that's awesome!" I said. Ian nodded in agreement. Kyle bit his lip and looked away. "Don't be ashamed of your talents," I said with a smile. He smiled at me looked down. "How'd it go?" Kyle asked. "I'm fine," I said. "No physical activities for four weeks," Ian told him.

"Oh, that sucks," Kyle said. I nodded in agreement. "But, it won't be a problem for him. Because he's grounded until then," Ian said, looking at me. I shrugged and walked past him and to the kitchen. "Ian!" I called. "Charlie!" He called back. "What's for lunch?" I asked as he and Kyle walked into the kitchen. "Make a sandwich," he said. "Can you make it?" I asked. He looked at me. "Pwease!" I said and a poked out my bottom lip. He sighed. "I guess. Do you want one Kyle?" He asked. "Uh sure," Kyle answered. "Yay! Thank you!" I said with a smile. Ian rolled his eyes and grabbed the bread and stuff to make us sandwiches.

"You're a brat!" Ian joked. I smiled, "I know!" I said with a goofy grin. Kyle chuckled as he stood next to me. "So," Kyle said. "We can't go to school for two days?" He asked. Ian looked at him. "Nope," he said popping the 'p' at the end. "You're still in trouble for that fight. Don't think I forgot because I had to take Charlie to the hospital. I still remembered," Ian said looking at us. Kyle and I looked down, ashamed. "He deserved it though!" Kyle said getting upset. "No, he did not. What he did was wrong, yes but, he did not deserve to be punched," Ian told him calmly. Kyle huffed and crossed his arms.

"You better change your attitude, little boy," Ian said, making his unspoken threat very clear. "What if I don't want to!" Kyle sassed back. "You know darn good and well what will happen if you don't," Ian said. "Make me!" Kyle said, anger in his face. I looked at Ian and he was not happy. "Go to my room and put your nose in a corner!" Ian said pointing to the stairs. "No!" Kyle said. Ian had finished my sandwich so I grabbed it and went to the table. "Kyle Thomas, you have three seconds to get up those stairs before I take my belt to your behind right here!" Ian said angry. Kyle was silent but went upstairs.

"That boy!" Ian sighed. "Thanks, for the sandwich," I said. Ian smiled at me. "You're welcome," he said. I nodded and looked down as I ate. "I'll be back," he said before going up the stairs. I sighed and finished eating. I put my plate in the dishwasher and stepped out onto the back porch. I sat on the step and put my elbows on my knees and chin in my hands as I looked out to the open space in front of me. I heard faint yelling from inside.

I was out here for a good fifteen minutes before someone sat next to me. "You okay?" I heard. I nodded and looked down. "Hey, look at me," Ian said. I slowly looked at him. "Hey, why are you crying?" He asked and wiped my tears off my face. "It's nothing," I said and moved his hands from my face. "Charlie, what's wrong?" He asked. I sniffed and shook my head and looked down. "It's just," I paused with a sigh. "I don't like the yelling," I said softly. "It reminds me of Joseph. When's he yelling at me. Getting ready to hit," I mumbled the end part.

Ian rubbed my back and pulled me to his side. "You know I would never hit you like he did," Ian said. I nodded with a sniffle. "I will spank you when you act up but, I would never in a million years hit you like he did!" He said. I nodded. He rubbed my back before pulling away. He wiped the tears off my face and kissed my head. "Lets go back inside," he said. I nodded in agreement and we went back inside. I got a shower and went to bed. I could hear faint sniffles every now and then from Kyle's room.

I lay in bed for what felt like forever and was unable to fall asleep. I got up and went to Ian's room. I opened the door and saw Kyle in the bed too. I walked over and poked Ian's shoulder. He looked over and saw me. He scooted over and lifted the duvet and I crawled in. He wrapped his arm around me and I drifted to sleep in his arms.