Chapter Three

Study hall ended and Russell and I went to lunch. Mr. Somerhalder was on lunch duty today so he went too. Russell and I got our trays and sat in the hallway on the floor.

"I really hate it here," I said. "I'm sorry, if I could afford tickets back to London I would take you home," Russell said.  His thick British accent sounds good with his good looks. He's the better looking brother, the stronger brother, the popular brother. I'm just the loser who gets beaten by everyone.

"Listen, I know life is hard," Russ started looking at me. "But you're strong and can make it through this!" He said. I smiled at him. He has always been able to make me smile. The bell rang as we stood to throw our trays away. Russell ate everything on his tray but I didn't touch anything on mine. Russell had just enough to buy us lunch today but I wasn't hungry. He didn't even notice I didn't eat. Russell grabbed my wrist making me look at him. "I love you, remember that okay?" He said. I nodded and smiled. "I love you too," I said. He pat my cheek and we went to our classes. Russell taking me to mine.

"Hey, Mr. Styles!" Russell said as we walked into my science classroom. "Hey Russell! How are you doing?" He asked. "Well, it's worse, but we're fine," He said. Mr. Styles is from London and knew our dad from old work. He smiled sadly at him. "What about you Charlie, how are you?" He asked looking at me. "Uh, fine, I guess," I said. He nodded. I sat down and Russell left.

Science went by fast which I was kinda thankful for. I don't like science that much. Russell walked in as the bell rang and helped me to our next class. We have English together as well. We walked in and Mrs. Stewart smiled at us. She loves us for some reason. We smiled back and sat at a table together.

I like English because Russell is in the class with me. I was praying the class wouldn't end quickly. My prayer came unanswered as the bell rang after what felt like fifteen minutes. I groaned in pain as I stood. Russell grabbed my bag and carried both our bags and walked with me to math, which was Mr. Somerhalder. We got to his class and I kept my head down as I sat in the back. Russell put my bag next to me and left after ruffling my hair. I laid my head on the table and closed my eyes. I felt someone pat my back and I opened my eyes slowly. I noticed Mr. Somerhalder had pat my back to get me to sit up. I silently groaned and lifted my head putting my face in my hands and my elbows on the table.

Math is really easy. I'm good in it. I copied all the notes and did the classwork. I was the first one to finish the classwork and turn it in. Then, I started on my homework. It wasn't a lot just twelve problems. I ended up finishing it with ten minutes left. I put everything away. I pulled my phone out and put my ear buds in and played my music. I looked around the room and I tapped my fingers on the table like it was a piano. I wasn't tapping loudly so I wouldn't disturb anyone.

Soon my friends, my only friends, Jaycub and Kyle finished and sat with me. "Did he do it again?" Jaycub asked. I sighed and nodded. "He didn't fracture it this time," I told them. They nodded. Kyle smiled and pulled out a piece of paper. He grabbed his pencil and drew three tick-tack toe boards. I smiled and started playing. I lost the one against Kyle and won the one against Jay. Then the bell rang and everyone jumped up running out except Kyle and Jay. They were slow to leave, telling me bye as they left. I sighed and stayed seated. I felt a buzz in my pocket so I pulled out my phone seeing a text from Russell.

Russell
I'll see you later tonight. I'm gonna come over.

Won't dad get mad that I'm not home??!

Don't worry about that.

I put my phone in my pocket and put my elbow on the table and my chin in my hand. "Ready?" Mr. Somerhalder asked. I nodded and stood up. Mr. Somerhalder grabbed my bag and I followed him to his car. He put our bags in the backseat and I got in passenger while he got in driver.

"Wanna listen to the radio?" He asked. "Sure," I said softly. I'm scared. I don't want dad to be mad that I'm not there and beat Russell since less! I sighed as we pulled out of the school. I looked at Mr. Somerhalder for a second before looking out my window. I mean, I could pass as his kid if I needed too. He has blue eyes and I have green. We both have brown hair. If I needed to I could!

"Russell is coming by for dinner," Mr. Somerhalder said looking at me since we were at a red light. I looked at him and nodded looking back down. "You don't talk much do you?" He asked looking back at the road. "Only if I need too," I said. Soon we pulled into a big house. "Well, here we are!" He said turning the car off. I opened the door as he did and I grabbed my bag from the backseat while he got his. We grabbed our stuff and he led me inside. "You can kick your shoes off here," he said as he took his shoes off. I looked down and started to take my shoes off.

"Wanna snack?" He asked. As if on cue my stomach growled. I nodded and followed him to the kitchen. "Did you eat breakfast?" He asked. "Uh, n-no sir," I said sitting at the bar. "Well, did you eat lunch?" "No, sir," I answered. "Why not?" "Don't have time to make a lunch without making him mad and I don't have lunch money," I told him lying about the money thing. Well it was and wasn't a lie. We had enough money today but we don't normally. I watched as he pulled stuff out to make sandwiches.

"Well, from now on you come to my classroom for lunch and I'll have something for you!" He said giving me a stern look. I nodded and looked down at my lap. I looked up and watched him as he made the sandwiches. After two minutes he was done and put a plate with the sandwich in front of me. "Thanks," I said and picked the sandwich up and started eating it. He said you're welcome and sat next to me.

I finished before him and I took my plate to the sink and started to wash it. "Evan, you don't have to wash it. I'll do that later!" Mr. Somerhalder said grabbing my wrist stopping me. "Oh, sorry," I mumbled and backed away from the sink. "Look at me," he said. I slowly looked up and made eye contact. "Are you okay?" I nodded. "Listen, I know this is probably weird for you to stay with your teacher but I want you to trust me. Can you try to trust me?" He asked. I looked away. I slowly nodded. "Can you talk for me?" He asked. "Yes, sir," I mumbled. "Okay, wanna watch some television until Russell gets here?" He asked. I nodded and followed him to the living room and he handed me the remote. I sat on the couch Indian style and turned on Fairly Odd Parents and he went off to grade papers.