Chapter Two

We reached the nurses office and Russell knocked. She looked over and saw us. She smiled and stood up.

"Hey, boys! What's up?" She asked. "Can Charlie sit in here for a while?" Russell asked. She looked at me and nodded. "Do you want me to call home?" She asked. "No, no, no!" I said fast. She put her hands up. "I won't! Here, bud, lie down," she said patting the little bed. I slowly let go of Russell's hand and sat on the bed.

"I'll be back after class to get you!" Russell said before kissing my head and walking out. I just watched sadly as he walked away. "Did you eat breakfast, Evan?" Nurse Payne asked. I looked at her and shook my head no. "I have some crackers, fruit roll ups, apple, orange, satsuma, or raisins," she said. "Fruit roll up, please," I said. She smiled and grabbed two handing them to me. "Thanks," I said grabbing them.

"Do you think I fractured my rib?" I asked. She looked at me. "I don't know, let me see," she said standing up and walking over to me. I lifted my shirt and she looked at my rib, feeling if the bone was out of place at all. "No, just badly bruised," she told me. I nodded and lowered my shirt.

I pulled my phone out seeing a message from Russell and one from an unknown. I opened the message from Russell first.

Russell
Hey, bud, I gave Mr. Somerhalder your number. He has mine too.

I nodded and opened the unknown.

Unknown
Hey, Evan, it's Mr. Somerhalder. You can come sit in my class if you don't want to sit in the nurses.

I thought for a minute then decided to go to his class instead of stay here. "Nurse Payne," I said, getting her attention. "I'm going to sit in Mr. Somerhalder's class," I said. She nodded. "Do you need help?" She asked. "No, it's not that far," I said standing up. "Can I have an apple though?" She nodded and handed me a green apple.

Mr. Somerhalder
Hey, Evan, it's Mr. Somerhalder. You can come sit in my class of you don't want to sit in the nurses.

Sure, I'll sit in your class.

I sent to him and left the nurses and started the short walk to his class while eating the apple. As I was walking I texted Russell telling him where I was going. I got to his class and opened the door. Everyone's attention turned to me and Mr. Somerhalder smiled at me. "You can sit by my desk if you want," he smiled. I nodded and went to the back of the classroom where his desk was and sat at the table he had back there.

I pulled out my math and English journal and started to do my homework. I normally do my homework during study hall or I just don't do it since I'm always being hit or yelled at. After about five minutes Mr. Somerhalder walked over to me and sat next to me. "Need help?" He asked. I glanced at him. "Oh, uh, no-no, thanks," I said and continued to do the work.

"Tell me if you need help," he said sitting at his desk. I looked at my phone seeing that Russell said okay and that he'll come here and get me after. I put my phone on the table and finished my work. I finished my math easily then went onto English. I finished that and put it away. I sighed and laid my head on the table. I was exhausted, mentally and physically. I almost fell asleep but the bell rang. I opened my eyes and lifted my head in time to see Russell walking in and towards me.

"Hey, kiddo," he said. "I wanna go home. Well, not home but I don't wanna be here," I told him looking down. "I know but, there are two problems. One, dad would find out and two, you don't have anywhere to go," he said. I nodded and looked up to him. "I don't want to go home after," I said tears pooled in my eyes. Russell sighed. "I'll find somewhere to stay the night," he said. "Let's go to class," he said. I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"Wait," Russell said looking at me. "You can't sing with your rib can you?" He asked. "I don't know," I said. He sighed. "I'm so sorry! I should've been there! God! I'm such a shit brother!" He said tugging his hair. "Hey! You're not a bad brother. You didn't know he would be so drunk. You didn't know he would be hurt this so bad," Mr. Somerhalder said to him. Russell looked at him. "Don't blame yourself for this!" He added. Russell nodded and looked at me. "Let's go," he sighed. I nodded and walked to the door. I looked back at him. "Go ahead I'll catch up with you. I need to talk to Mr. Somerhalder," he said. I nodded and left the classroom.

I walked a few steps away from the door before I was shoved to the ground. "Hey, British baby! Where's you stupid British brother to save you?" Colin, my bully, sneered, causing his friends to laugh. Then Colin kicked me and his friends followed his lead. I lay there while they beat me. About three minutes later they stopped and spit on me before running off. I groaned and pushed myself up to sit against the wall. "Shit!" I heard. Then, I saw Russell in front of me and Mr. Somerhalder behind him.

"What happened?" Russell asked. "Colin," I whimpered. Russell groaned and grabbed a handkerchief and wiping the blood from my lip, eye and nose. "Colin Horan?" Mr. Somerhalder asked. I nodded breathing heavily to catch my breath. I saw his eyes grow from bright blue to a dark blue. "I'm gonna talk with him! Was anyone else with him?" He asked. "Um, uh, Jason Malik and Carter Leto," I said remembering who all was there. He nodded. "Need help, getting him to class?" Mr. Somerhalder asked. Russell shook his head no. "I can get him, thanks," he said. Mr. Somerhalder said okay and said I need to text him if I need anything.

"Let's get you to class!" Russell said, helping me up and held me up as we walked to my class. "I'm causing you to be late," I said. He chuckled. "Family first," he said. I smiled at him as we reached my class. "I'll come get you after. Don't leave until I get you, understand?" He asked. I nodded. He ran off towards his class and I entered the choir room. I took my seat in the back.

The teacher saw me and looked concerned but continued to explain what we would be doing. After that she had every get in groups and she came over to me. "You okay?" She asked. "I'm fine, Mrs. Fowler, I just can't sing today," I said. She knew immediately why. She knows my dad and knows how he treats me and Russ. She said okay then went back to teaching. I sat in the back and listened. Suddenly she smiled at me.

"Evan, would you like to play piano for us?" She asked. "Oh, uh, no thanks, I don't wanna disturb," I said. "You sure?" She asked. I nodded. "Okay!" She smiled at me and continued class. Soon the bell rang and I did as Russell told me and stayed in class until he got here. Soon he showed up and smiled at me. "Ready?" He asked. I nodded standing up and following him out of the classroom. We have the next class together so we were going to the same place.

"Where are we going?" I asked. "Mr. Tomlinson said we could go to Mr. Somerhalder's class," he said. I nodded and soon we showed up to his classroom. We walked in and he was at his desk typing on his computer. He noticed us walk in and he smiled. "Hey!" He smiled standing up.

Russell helped me into a chair and I whimpered as my rib started to hurt again. "Um, Charlie we know where you're gonna stay the night," Russell said looking at me. I looked at him and he sighed. "You'll stay with Mr. Somerhalder's tonight," he told me. "What about you?" I asked. He smiled sadly at me. "I'm gonna be staying home," he said. "No! You can't!" I said as tears fell. "Buddy, it'll be okay! I can handle it much better than you can," he told me wiping the tears off my face.

"What do you have left?" He asked. "Uh, I missed Gym, I was just at choir, we're in study hall, I have science, English, dance and math today," I said. "So, you have history tomorrow?" I nodded. "What's next?" He asked me. "Well, we go to lunch then I go to science," I said remembering my schedule and he nodded.

"You're going to be riding home with me, okay?" Mr. Somerhalder said. I looked at Russell and looked down slowly nodding.