chapter 5

2 weeks later

After 2 weeks of at home, complete bed rest I'm cleared to walk around. Mom thinks it's a good idea for company and to have the delgattos over. Everyone's given me the space i need, but noticing my change in attitude. Never smiling, laughing, or conversing. Nothing. That day everything changed for me. My happiness, my innocence, and any emotion I've possessed, except fear, depression, and anger.

I dress myself into black jeans and grey v neck, with converse. I exit my room when my dad came to tell me everyone is here and breakfast was served. I head downstairs with cautious steps, since I still have a fresh/new wound. I walk inside the dining area where everyone is.

"Wow, Emerson you look so much better." Rosalia says happily, since it's the 1st time I willingly seen her family since the hospital.

After the 1st day I had a strict no visitors policy except immediate family, and even then I never paid any attention.

Without even attempting to smile I nod looks can be deceiving I want to reply but bite my tongue.

Everyone greets me, and get a mere nod or a flimsy handshake. Sitting down, I sit beside Ember and in front of Sage like usual. I stare down at my empty plate.

"Honey, aren't you going to eat?" My mom asks worried.

I shake my head and stand to leave the table. My sister grabs my hand gently and gives me a pleading look to sit down. Pulling my hand from her grasp I turn and leave the kitchen, feeling everyone's eyes on me.

I head into the theater room where there's a mini fridge and snacks. Taking a bag of chips I lay on the couch and stare at the ceiling. Hours go by as I hear my mom walks
through looking for me, not checking in here since there aren't any lights on. Putting her out of her misery I exit the room and find her in the living room with everyone. I hear her say she was worried about me and that she couldn't find me. Leaning on the entrance door, everyone turns to me.

"Emerson. There you are. I was looking all over for you" my mom says relieved.

I nod. "Sorry" not sounding sorry at all. It wasn't meant to be harsh, just came out that way.

"Why don't you come join us? We're talking about our family trip. The delgattos are joining us." My mom says trying to get me to be apart of something.

I shake my head. And get ready to turn to leave.

"Well I would like you to. Just for a second at least." My mom grasps my arm gently.

"K" I say slowly pulling my arm away. Once her grasp is removed I walk away and into the kitchen. Once in there I lean up to grab a cup, hitting my wound on the table in the process. My finger hits the glass making it crash to the ground."

"Fuck" I groan about my stomach, a glass shard flying and slicing my hand.

My dad quickly runs inside. "Emerson what happened?"

"It's fine" I mumble wrapping my hand in napkin and stepping over the glass to grab a broom.

"How did you break this? Are you alright?" My mom says behind him.

"I hit my stomach on the table, and my finger hit the glass making it fall. And it cut me. Jesus fucking crist. Im not going to break. You keep treating me like I'm a kid and I'm not." I snap while dabbing my hand.

"We're trying to be here for you. We don't mean to make you feel like a kid." My mom says trying to calm me.

"We are trying to be cautious because this is a fragile situation. We don't know what's going on with you. You won't talk to us." My dad says after.

"I'm not fragile. I don't want to talk about it! I have to live with it everyday already. I don't want to talk. I'm tired of talking. I just want it all to stop and go back to normal! I don't want to be the asshole. But none if you will leave me the fuck alone." I snap before exiting the room.

I head straight for my bedroom, bathroom. Inside it I grab a towel and hold it against my hand to stop the blood. I hear a knock on my door before it opens.

A pair of soft gentle hands grabs my injured one. I pull it away but they quickly regain it back. "Let me help."

I shake my head at her "i don't want help Sage."

"You may not want it but you need it, so let me clean your hand." She says looking me straight in the eye before guiding me to the toilet seat.

She were the towel, and grabs peroxide and cotton balls. Cleaning my hand I stare at her blankly.

"You use to never swear. Hearing you swear like that, makes me wonder what you saw that day." She says cautiously.

"I saw enough to make me live in fear for the rest of my life. Enough to haunt me" i say under my breath.

I hear her gasp, knowing she heard me. "I'm really sorry about Adam."

This makes me yank my hands away. "You should go now"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset. It's just i know how close you two are. And seeing him in the position Must be hard." She says trying to explain herself.

"You wouldn't know the half of it." I says walking past her and out of the bathroom.

"I'm sorry. I didn't meant to upset you. I just want to talk to my bestfriend. The Emerson I know so well." She follows me.

"He died, along with the others that day. This is what you get now." I mumble sitting on my bed.

"And what is it that I get?" She ask coming closer.

"Someone who's life got changed right before there eyes. Someone who is broken, angry, afraid. Someone who wants to be alone." I say the last part looking directly at her.

"Then I'll deal. I'll rather deal with you then not at all. Because I'm not letting the boy who I fell in love with walk away." She says choking slightly.

I look at her sad. "I don't know what love is. Love is a temporary thing, before your life is taken away from you in a matter of seconds. Love is temporary bliss, before heartbreak."

She shakes her head. "It doesnt have to be."

Standing up I stare into her eyes. "In this case it is." And with that I open my door wanting her to leave.

Giving me one last sad, longing look she walks out. I hear her sniffle and wipe his eyes as she does so. Closing my eyes, I lean against the door.

Love is traded into heartbreak
Laughter is traded into tears
Smiles are traded into frowns
Happiness is traded into sadness
And most of all
Life is traded into death.