Kiwi Mango vs. Cinnamon Spice

Start from the beginning

"What?" Shawn asked Riley pointedly, facing her. And then Riley went on to talk about Pluto like it was really really important, which confused him.

"You weren't afraid to love somebody once," Riley continued as it this was related to the Pluto stuff.

"Yeah, well I'm done with that," Shawn replied. "I don't have that. I'm not going to have that."

"You are," Riley told him. "There's somebody out there for you."

"So you're saying Pluto is Angela?" Shawn asked, still totally confused as to what the heck she was talking about. At his words, Shawn noticed Maya get up from his other side and sit on the bed.

"No, I'm saying Pluto is believing in something out there, no matter what anybody says," Riley explained. "Especially you."

Shawn was still kinda out of the loop when Cory piped up saying he should really be able to figure it out. How long had that curly haired man been standing in the doorway anyway?

Then slowly the wheels in Shawn's head were turning. Maya was upset because of Angela. Something clicked. Maya was upset that Angela was going to take him away.

Shawn stood up and walked over to face Maya. He asked, "Do you believe in me?"

"I do," Maya said.

"I don't know what I'm suppose to be for you," Shawn said.

"Can you just be out there for me?" Maya asked.

"Yes," Shawn answered easily. "I can do that. I want to do that. What do you call that?"

"It doesn't matter what you call it," Maya said. "I just want to know that you're there."

"Okay," Shawn promised. He moved closer and sat beside her before adding, "I'm there."

Shawn wasn't sure why he found himself at Katy's cafe later that day. She greeted him with a smile, and offered to get him something for his drive home even if they were closing up. He accepted, then quickly thought better of it and asked her if she wanted to sit down. Katy gratefully sat, looking tired. Then she asked if he wanted to talk, but Shawn said they could just sit. She agreed, but was clearly confused. Then again, Shawn was confused. Why had he come here if he didn't he want to talk? With Angela they'd just been able to be in each other's company. Was he checking to see if that was possible here? But why would he do that? In her nervous confusion, Katy applied her lip gloss and Shawn asked what flavour it was, suddenly very curious, but not totally sure why.

"Cinnamon spice," she answered.

"Is that better than kiwi mango?" Shawn asked. Rationally he knew lip gloss has literally nothing to do with anything, but it was the only way he knew how to phrase what his mind was trying to process.

"It's different," she said.

"Is different better?" he felt compelled to ask.

"Well, I guess that depends on the life your having," she replied. "For me yeah, I'd take different. I'm ready for different. How about you?"

Shawn knew that she knew he wasn't talking about lip gloss, though he wasn't quite sure how he knew this. Still, he was glad she didn't come right out and say it. Speaking like this was easier somehow. Then again, maybe it wasn't. Shawn didn't know how to answer her question.

Why had he come here?

"Yeah, well is anyone ever really ready for anything?" Shawn said lamely before making his excuses for bothering her and leaving. Shawn got in his car and headed back to finish his job in Philly before anyone could drag him off on another strange adventure.