[ 1 ]

SAD GIRL — Lana Del Rey

The sun casted itself through the cracks of my translucent curtains, straining my eyes to twitch open. Stirring awake, I pulled my torso from the comfortable dream I was trying to be engulfed in from the previous night.

My feet hit the cold floor as the thoughts I had been dreading for months were finally becoming reality.

I'm moving today, I internally groaned.

Living in Canada had its perks in spite of the fact that our life here was far from manageable. My mom had finally decided to make a change to the life that was controlling her, unfortunately, I hadn't expected that to make her move out of the country.

I was forced to leave behind the small pile of people I called my close friends and the boy who my heart had been pleading towards for months. I sighed at the euphoric memories that brought small sadness to puncture my nerves but decided to get on with getting dressed to drive with my mom to California.

I threw on a pair of black ripped jeans, a raven crop top with the words 'underrated' bolded in white across it, a denim oversized jacket, and a pair of high top PF flyers. I sported my hair in its natural auburn curls reaching past my shoulders and didn't bother to plaster an ounce of makeup on my face.

I trudged down the stairs of my small house to the sound of rummaging from the kitchen.

"Oh, morning Elena," my mom spoke from under the table searching for what I assumed were the keys to the moving truck. "Are your bags outside?"

"Yeah," I replied dryly, grabbing the last bottle of water left in the now empty freezer.

I sat on the empty dining table that was once filled with flowers and bowls of untouched fruit, draining the contents of my water bottle.

"I found it!" My mom shouted triumphantly raising her hand in the air with her keys. I rolled my eyes quietly at the sight.

"Listen to me Lina, I know what you're thinking—"

"Unless you're a mind reader, no you don't." I interrupted as I crossed my hands over my chest.

"Okay, please just drop the attitude when we get there." She sighed, heaving one last box in her hand as she trailed out the door.

I followed behind her quietly and grabbed the Polaroid I almost forgot of me and my friends from what felt like a century ago. I balanced the small picture of our piercing smiles and lopsided expressions on the palm of my hand, rubbing my index finger over their faces as sadness crept into my heart.

I was the last to exit, so I slammed the door and locked it with the key already placed inside.

Standing back from the house to get a clear view of my old life I couldn't help but feel the pulse of nervousness reverberate through me as I imagined what my new life was about to be.

This was about to be the biggest summer of my life, I just wish I had anticipated how big.

✱✱✱

The car ride consisted of me sleeping to the sound of rock music penetrating my ear and my mom complaining about my lack of enthusiasm towards my newfound life. I, of course, blocked out every irritating thought and drifted to sleep as often as I could.

I hadn't expected the trip to be so long. By the second day, I grew tired of my moms barking that I was completely numb to any command that fell from her lips.