20: Beating Hearts

After the Christmas dinner, Jay went to sit on a bench in the park. Even if the air was cold, he could feel himself burning on the inside. He had completely lost control earlier, and he needed to calm down. He took deep breath to calm his anger and his slight embarrassment, while trying very hard not to scream. If he was on the Isle, he surely would have punched something, but now, he had to control himself. He looked at his hands, not knowing what to think. His first Christmas dinner and he probably wouldn't be invited again. He sighed in discouragement. Why did he have to be so hot tempered sometimes? Why couldn't he be sweet and gentle like Carlos? Carlos. Jay felt his heart sink. He shouldn't have snapped at him like that... he probably also shouldn't have hit Chad as well.. he looked at his bruised knuckles and sighed. Suddenly, he heard footsteps coming towards him. He immediately looked up to try and find out who it could be. He expected to find Evie or even Mal but instead, he found Audrey who seemed to make her way through the thin layer of snow. Jay looked away; if he was honest, she was the last person he wanted to see right now. But since she seemed to care enough to take some of her time to come and see him, he decided that'd he'll let her. When he looked back, Audrey was already in front of him, her arms crossed.

"What are you doing here?" Jay asked, although he knew exactly the answer.

"Well I certainly did not come to enjoy the great winter decor" she stated, which made Jay chuckle slightly. Audrey sat beside him on the bench.

"I just... wanted to check on you. What happened back there... I'm not used to seeing you like this" she simply said while giving him a look that showed concern, although she would never admit it. "And since I took some of my precious time to go check on you, you have to tell me. I don't make the rules" she added, which made Jay chuckle again. He knew that she was joking... mostly. He looked over at her.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't know myself" Jay said softly. Audrey pouted.

"That's not true and you know it. I'm sure you have at least a slight idea, you just don't want to believe it" she retorted. Jay sighed, knowing very well that she was right. He (did) have his suspensions that could justify what happened. He just didn't want to believe it. He closed his eyes as flashbacks of what happened came to him.

Everything was going fine until everyone finished eating and Carlos went to the bathroom. As the white haired excused himself and left, Chad decided to start flirting with Audrey.

"So what if I do? Why does it matter if I have my reasons or not?" Jay asked, his arms crossed.

She looked so disgusted by Chad. Jay wanted to say something really bad but he shut himself up to avoid trouble. That was, until Audrey repeatedly told him to stop and he didn't. "Leave me alone, can't you catch a hint?" She asked him.

"You hit Chad! I understand he's annoying, yes, but hitting him is another story! You know he's gonna tell everyone about it, might as well help me come up with something!" Audrey told him, giving him a look. Jay turned to her and frowned.

"And why does me justifying myself have to do with Chad telling everyone?" He asked, slightly confused.

"Because I wanted be able to defend you! Don't you get it?"

"Audrey, dear Audrey. Now why would I do that if we're basically soul mates?" Chad said while flashing his smile at her. Audrey rolled her eyes.

"She told you to leave her alone" Jay growled under his breath, although it was loud enough for Chad to hear.

"No one asked you, Jay! Mind your own business, will ya?" Chad spat.

"You... you want to defend me?" Jay asked, surprised. He looked at Audrey, genuinely surprised and confused before shaking his head.

"Ugh, no, you're just trying to find an excuse to make me confess" he added. "There's no way you actually care."