20: Beating Hearts

Start from the beginning

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, gritting his teeth. Chad smirked.

"I think you already know... I mean you are a VK-"

"Shut up!" Jay started to take deep breath to calm down, as he knew where this was going.

"... and someone like you cannot be with someone like her-" Suddenly, Chad was on the ground, holding his bloody nose.

"You (like) me?" Jay asked, completely dumbfounded. Audrey immediately shook her head, suddenly looking panicked.

"Not like that... I mean as a friend" Ouch, friendzone. He shouldn't be surprised, he saw it coming. Ever since he admitted it to himself that he liked her, he even prepared himself for it. Then why did it hurt so much? He looked awkwardly at Audrey.

"Look, all I'm saying is that you shouldn't let Chad's words get to you like that. Especially if you know they aren't true"

Jay was holding his fists, with his knuckles filled with Chad's blood. All the others, who weren't paying much attention earlier, turned around, completely shocked. Audrey suddenly approached him.

"Jay? Are you okay?" There was so much concern in her voice even Jay could hear it. For a few seconds after the hit, he was completely frozen as he tried to calm himself down. But when he felt Audrey's hand on his shoulder, and footsteps behind him, he suddenly realized what he did. He flinched at Audrey's hand on his shoulder and turned around to look at everyone's faces. He tried to formulate words but he seemed to lack saliva and was almost suffocating. Evie was the next one to approach him. She brushed her thumb against his cheek in an attempt to calm him down but Jay took a few steps back.

"Stop... everyone just stop! I- argh" for one of the first time, Jay was completely panicked. He hadn't hit someone in so long... it just felt so wrong, even though he had this rush of adrenaline that made him want to hit Chad again. At this moment, Carlos came back and was confused as he saw Chad with a bloody nose on the floor and Jay, who looked like he was going to explode. He frowned as he came closer to everyone.

"What the hell happened here?" He asked. His gaze went from Jay to Chad and back to Jay, in an attempt to understand.

"Jay hit Chad" Mal simply said. She had been quiet for most of the time but she suddenly approached the place where Chad and Jay were standing. She started patting Jay slightly on the back; she really wanted to say something thoughtful or at least something that could comfort him, but she had nothing. Jay really wanted to step back but it seemed to calm him down so he didn't move, although his breathing was still as fast. Carlos went in front of Jay and looked at him.

"Jay... are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

"And what if they are? What if they are true?" Jay exclaimed, making Audrey surprised. She frowned in confusion.

"So what are you saying?" She asked while staring at him. Jay opened his mouth and closed it as the words he was going to say died in his mouth. He was scared to say anything, risk getting hurt. But he had hurt enough people today, maybe he deserved it.

Jay started laughing sarcastically.

"Oh, you're the one asking me if I'm okay? Aren't you the one who refused to tell anyone what was bothering you? Why should I tell you anything if you don't even seem to trust me?" He spat bitterly. Carlos stepped back, slightly confused and speechless. He knew Jay was right but seeing him so upset about everything just made him hurt.

"Jay... I-" but he was quickly cut him by Jay.

"Stop- I don't want to hear it" he gave Carlos a dark look, a look that said it all, he looked back at everyone before walking off.

Jay was slightly frozen in place, not quite sure what to say. He gulped several times as he just stared at Audrey. He expected the princess to cross her arm and give him her firm look but instead she just looked at him patiently. He's never been so nervous before.

"I-I... like you" he mumbled to himself. Audrey looked at him with a frown.

"What did you say? I didn't hear you" she said, looking at him more curiously. Jay sighed, knowing he had to say it again. He took a deep breath.

"I like you okay? I really do. I don't know why, I just know that I do and I just-" and without another thought, Jay kissed her. It was foolish, and stupid, but why the hell not? He wasn't known for his good decisions. At least if she rejects him, he'll know what's it's like. It also meant that he'd be too embarrassed to show his face again but that was a detail. He quickly pulled away before she could and instinctively backed away, slightly scared. "I'm sorry, I don't know what got into me, I-" he simply stared at her, not knowing what to say and afraid of her response. Audrey stared at him for a while, kind of confused and mostly surprised before approaching him and hugging him.

"I like you too" she said softly. Jay was taken off guard by the guy but slowly wrapped his arms around her too. He was used to affection and wanted to stay here forever. He was starting to get cold but he didn't care; he wasn't going to leave anytime soon. 

Was this cheesy? Yes. Was this angsty? Yes. 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I was supposed to publish this on Friday but I accelerated the process to finish today, as a Valentine's present! Hope you like it! Was the type of writing with flashbacks too complicated? Or was it okay? Either way, I won't be doing that any time soon so don't worry! Also, I know some people will be disappointed to see that Jay ends up with Audrey, but I swear it will be relevant in the story somehow. I just realized that this book has 20 chapters now holy cow. Things will speed up soon, don't worry ;) 

PS: Is it me... or this rivalry between Jay and Chad looked really gay? I tried to make them despise each other but it's sending me sexual vibes oh god. Just me? Okay xD 

PPS: Do you guys like the new cover? Made it myself :D