20: Beating Hearts

Start from the beginning

"It's my business when my friends are involved" Jay retorted. The feeling of frustration he had felt was just so intense. Chad crossed his arms.

"Oh yeah? Is that so now?" He asked mockingly.

"I'm not the heartless witch you think I am, you know" Audrey retorted with a hurt look on his face. Jay froze for a second then shook his head. "I never said you were heartless! I just don't think you care about... me" he told her while biting his lip.

Chad approached Jay until their faces were only a few centimetres apart. "I think you're doing this because you like her. Am I wrong?" Chad asked him with a smirk on his face. Jay shook his head as he clenched his fists.

"You're crazy" he rolled his eyes, even though he felt his heartbeat accelerating.

"Am I now? So you're not in love with my girl?" Chad asked, raising his eyebrow. Jay shook his head once again. The blonde smirked and laughed slightly.

"I wouldn't be so sure about it" Chad simply said. Jay rolled his eyes.

"Okay, then if you suspect that you have the right answer, then why do you ask for my answer?" If there was one thing he hated, it was when people asked about his input and decided to go with their own first idea.

"Because I want to hear you say it" Chad replied with a smile. Jay crossed his arms and frowned.

"Keep dreaming" was his only answer, hoping that the blonde would understand the message and stop interrogating him. But Chad seemed to enjoy it more than he should.

"Fine then. That means you shouldn't mind if I flirt with her" he added, looking at him intensely. Jay sighed deeply.

"I never said it bothered me, but she told you to stop so you should" Jay wasn't sure if he was lying at this point or not, but he could not let Chad know. The blonde boy was also (really) getting in his nerves and he was going to loose it if he didn't stop pestering him with questions. He took a deep breath.

"Look, I really don't want to make a fuss about it, can you please stop?" Jay added while looking at Chad. But the prince did not look like he was going to give up. He approached even more, but his grin was gone. In quite honesty, Jay did not understand why Chad had to be so close but it seemed to be a way to pass his message very clearly. He gave Chad a look to show him he wasn't scared.

"You think I don't know what's going on between you and Audrey? You think I'm stupid?" Chad started. Jay was tempted to answer but he decided to shut up. "Well guess what? I'm not. I know exactly what's happening. You think I don't see the way you look at her? Or worse the way she looks at you?" He continued. Jay was confused at this point. Was he implying that Audrey had a crush on him?

"Of course I care about you! Do you think I would have come all this way if I didn't? Do you think I would have done all of this if I wasn't worried? Do you..." she interrupted herself to take a deep breath. "Do you think I would have stayed nice to you if I didn't... like you?"

"I really don't know what you're talking about" Jay simply said although his heart was beating faster. Chad scoffed.

"Stop, you know exactly what I'm saying. And you know what? I'm not gong to let you, or anyone else get in between what I want. So you're the one who's gonna back off!" He spat. Jay was kind of shaken by the prince's reaction and frowned. A smile suddenly came across Chad's face, which did not reassure him. "Besides, I think you and I know very well that you don't stand a chance anyways." Chad added. At those words, Jay clenched his fists.