Chapter two

Cassandra Arizona Night point of view

When May is allowed to go home, it feels like it's been forever. Even though only a week has passed since she got an infection to whatever the doctor said, it feels like it has been a year. We have to give up our cozy little apartment and trade it for Trudy's big house. One of the extra rooms is build up to be a hospital room where she can spend her last weeks, breathe het last breaths and close her eyes. I don't want her to die, but since her leukemia only got worse, death is inevitable. She can't go home on her own strength, she's grown too weak. In a week, her health was getting worse and worse. We could see her get weaker and weaker. But, today, she'll be coming home. In five hours she'll be here and I will be able to help her for the first time in a week. It's six A.M, but I can't seem to fall asleep, in the room next to me, Danielle is sleeping and in the room above me, Trudy and her husband are snoring. The sharp pain shoots through my stomach, but I don't mind. I know I should say it to someone, report it to the hospital, but for some reason, I couldn't be bothered to do that. Suddenly, my phone starts singing it's ringtone. A strange number appears on the display, and for a second, I don't want to pick up, but I do press the green button.

'Hello.' I realize that my voice sounds horrible. I have been crying for three hours, no wonder it sounds raw.

'Hello,' May's troubled voice says. 'Can you please come over here darling? I'm in pain and to be honest, I don't know if I can take this any longer. The doctor said I could call somebody, so I called you.' She's crying. Suddenly, I am wide awake.

'Tell the doctors to give you some morphine, I'm on my way.' Without even thinking about it, I pull on my jacket, grab my purse and walk out the door. The bus stops just in time and when he drives off, I am constantly cussing in my mind. Why can't the freaking bus drive faster? Everybody is staring at me and my pajamas, but I don't care. It's May that needs to be thought about, not how silly a girl looks. Minutes pass, but they seem to be hours. After half an hour, I arrive at the hospital and run to her room. The floors are slippery, I am exhausted and my muscles hurt with every move I make, but I don't give a fuck, no, not at all. Normally, I would have taken the elevator, but now, I use the stairs to go to level five – Oncology. Doctors look at me as I run by. I even pass Dr. Dany, who doesn't seem surprised to see me here. He follows me to her room, at a more even and slower rate. As I almost fly into her room, she is still crying.  When she sees me, she reaches out her hands  and I hug her, trying to support her every step of the way.

'Are you okay?' I whisper in her ear. She shakes her head.

'No, I'm not. I'm freaking hurting and they won't give me some morphine.'

'Doctor Dany is on his way,' I whisper, 'he'll give you some morphine. He'll kill the pain darling. Just hold on for just a couple more minutes, okay?'

'I'll do my best,' she whispers weakly. 'Thank you for coming.'

'It's okay,' I whisper. 'I would do anything for you, even if you asked me to climb the Mount Everest.'

'Did I wake you up? You sounded strange on the phone, and you are still wearing your pajamas.'

'No, I was awake. Had a rough night, that's all.' As soon as the words were spoken, the doctor walked in.

'Hello, May, Cassandra. I saw you running down the hall, for a cancer patient who is getting weaker, you can run fairly well, that I have to admit. Is something wrong? I'm not used to seeing you here at this hour. You know that it's forbidden to be here at seven A.M right?'

'I know and I'm sorry, but May called me, telling that she was hurting, so I forced myself to come over immediately. The doctors didn't want to give her something to kill the pain.'