prologue

At a particularly late hour, Clara Robinson walked into the crowded pub and pushed back her brown hair

At a particularly late hour, Clara Robinson walked into the crowded pub and pushed back her brown hair. College students milled around the room, chatting to friends and drinking. Clara bit the inside of her cheek - why had she agreed to going here instead of in her armchair reading?

"I'm going to see if anyone we know is here; I'll be right back!" her friend, Susan Carpenter, said with a grin. Before Clara could protest, the girl walked off towards the biggest gathering of people.

"Susie, you're going to pay for this..." Clara murmured to herself. She decided she should at least get a drink for herself and walked up to the bartender. Once she had a glass, she leaned on the tall wooden counter and watched the people around her. Clara was never one for big parties or nights in the pub. She liked reading by the fireplace or writing at midnight. Susan called her boring, but Clara had learned not to care what her best friend thought about her seemingly dull habits.

She sipped the drink lightly and was watching her friend greeting some other students when she met eyes with a man across the room. He had brown hair that fell around his face, a rambunctious smile, and bright eyes that glittered. He grinned at her, and she felt her face flush. Clara looked away quickly and started tracing the patterns of the wood.

She was about to finish her drink when she felt someone tap her shoulder. She turned and saw the grinning man. She smiled back a bit shyly.

"Hello," he said with a crisp British accent. Clara noded.

"Hello," she replied with the same accent. He gazed into her eyes.

"Did you know that you're a mutant?" he asked. The man leaned on the counter like her and folded his arms. He was wearing a black vest over a white dress shirt and had matching slacks. Clara raised an eyebrow.

"Is that so?" she said, a hint of a smile on her lips.

"Why yes!" he smirked. "You are a very lovely girl with a mutated MCR-one gene."

"Thank you," Clara said and bit back a little laugh. She started rubbing the silky material of her blue dress."And what exactly is a mutated MCR-one gene?"

"Auburn hair," he nodded towards her dark hair. "It's a mutation, and it's a very groovy mutation if I might say." Clara leaned her elbow more onto the counter, and the man continued. "Did you know that mutations took us from single-celled organisms to being the dominant form of reproductive life of this planet? Infinite forms of variation with each generation, and all through mutation." He looked back up at her and grinned more. Clara finally gave a laugh.

"Is this what you use on all the girls here?" she asked. He placed a hand on his chest in mock embarrassment.

"Only the pretty ones," he winked. Clara rolled her eyes.

"Do you ever say your name?" she said. He nodded.

"In the morning," he teased. Clara blushed.

"R-really?" she stammered. He laughed and shook his head.