THIRTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 37
TO BE A HERO

CHAPTER 37TO BE A HERO

HE only wore a pair of pants and shiny boots. A thin coat of sweat covered his bare torso, but all Raena stared at was his slightly angered face. His hair was pushed back, some strands sticking up at the top of his head. He lifted a brow curiously, waiting for an answer impatiently. Raena's hands finally shot up in surrender, and they shook violently while in the air

"This isn't what it looks like," she spoke clearly. The tablet still sat on the floor, shining its blue light on her body.

"Are you sure about that?" He asked, stepping forward. "It looks like breaking and entering to me."

Raena's eyes flickered from his eyes to her feet. "Um –" She bent down and picked up the tablet. Raena struggled to keep it in her arms. "Well, maybe it is what it looks like."

Kylo's eyes darkened. The room around them was barely lit. Their only source of light was from the tablet and the bright window, which highlighted the left half of his face. His voice was deep as he asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Good question," Raena smiled nervously.

"Good questions, but no answers."

She frowned, hugging her arms around her chest. "Do you want the truth?"

He gave no answer. Raena knew that meant for her to continue. His angry stare made her lip quiver. A shiver was sent down her spine as she struggled with an answer. She was good at lying. She needed a good lie. Why was her brain barely functioning? Raena stuttered out a list of ums and uhs as she continued to think.

"The Supreme Leader sent me," she blurted.

Kylo's eyes narrowed. "To do what?"

"He had ... suspicions –" she paused for a moment "– that you were keeping something from him. He sent me to find anything."

He stared at her with confusion. "Well, why didn't he ask me?" Kylo shook his head as Raena stood in place, stiff as a board. "Instead, he sent you to snoop through my room. I need to remind myself to change that passcode, I guess. I'm going to talk to the Supreme Leader later today about this."

"No, don't!" Raena exclaimed suddenly, pressing her hands firmly on his chest. His bare skin was warm and it practically burned her fingertips. As soon as their skin touched, it felt like all their memories blended together in her mind. She saw it all, and even as he stepped closer to her, she didn't move one inch. "You can't. He ... will think I failed. Don't tell him."

Kylo's brow fell. He sighed heavily through his nostrils. Raena's hands still rested on his chest, and she wondered silently why she hadn't moved them, or why he hadn't done that himself. She swallowed hard. You hate him, she reminded herself. He killed you. You hate him. These facts had never been more true, but Raena still kept her hands there, enjoying the feel of his skin burning her own. She did hate him. She really did, but a connection through hate had never been more intoxicating.