NINE

CHAPTER 9
A CONDITION

RAENA pushed a blonde lock away from her line of vision as she took a bite of the sandwich in front of her

RAENA pushed a blonde lock away from her line of vision as she took a bite of the sandwich in front of her. The cafeteria was practically empty that night, only housing a few general officers and cadets. She sat alone at her usual table: all the way in the corner of the room, a place where no one could bother her. She didn't like many on the ship anyways, so she preferred to be alone with her thoughts. Maybe she was just bitter; she had always been since she was dumped on the forsaken ship with no way out.

Maz had sent too many smugglers to help Raena escape for a full year, but none could accomplish such a hefty goal. It was foolish to think anyone could rescue the assassin in the first place, but in Maz's defense, Raena knew her intentions were good. Although, by the last smuggler she had sent that had managed to find her, Raena had refused to go with him. She was already in too deep and knew that no one could help her. She helped the man escape the ship herself, but sent him off with special words for Maz. Since then, she had no contact with the wise creature that was almost a mother to her.

She missed Maz's comfort, but most of all, she missed her parents.

To her surprise, she heard the clank of a tray hitting the table in front of her. Raena looked up with a raised brow, her mouth stuffed with the sandwich.

"Good evening, Officer Nhagy," Gerardo smiled wistfully in the assassin's direction.

She swallowed down the rest of the sandwich in her mouth. "Gerardo, I told you that you can call me Raena." She smirked, setting her sandwich on her tray. "What are you doing here?"

"I saw you were sitting alone and you looked lonely," he replied, taking a slurp of the pasta on his plate. "I thought I would join you."

"I'm not lone –"

"So," he chewed, interrupting her response, "training was pretty strange today, right?"

She lofted a brow. "How so?"

"Well, first of all, Pacey was being more of an ass than usual. I'm thinking that his secret relationship with Hux is on the rocks. Wish the Neanderthal would look at me like that," Gerardo added, causing a giggle to fall out of Raena's lips before she realized his words, and soon grew quiet. "Secondly, Commander Ren wasn't there to watch over us today. He's usually always there."

Raena felt uncomfortable at the thought that the commander wasn't there because of her. Actually, if Gerardo had been looking recently, he would've noticed that Commander Ren hadn't been watching them for two weeks. Raena's initial thought was that he was avoiding specifically her, but she couldn't come up with a good reason why he would waste his time avoiding someone like her. The temper tantrum had shaken her up just the tiniest bit, but after an hour, she was fine and had the best sleep of her life. He couldn't be avoiding her; he had other things to do, but why was her mind so adamant that her original thought was right?