Chapter 8

The next few days passed in a blur, mostly because I didn’t have French class nor did I see Jeremy roaming the halls. I did get to know Ashton a lot better and I’m really happy I met him, he’s my rock in this hellhole of a school. I’ve been trying to think of a way to continue twenty-one questions with Mr. Richards but there’s no way I can ask him without it sounding strange.

I’ve been dying to talk to Ashton about my dilemma but I’m scared of his reaction. He’s my only friend, I wouldn’t want to scare him away so soon. Would he think it’s creepy for me to like our teacher or would he accept me? There’s so many ways he could react but I hope it will be a good one.

When Monday came back around, I decided that today would be the day I told Ashton and try to hint to Jeremy that we should continue our game. I woke up bright and early, feeling determined. I decide to try to curl my hair once again, even though the first time was a disaster. Neither of my parents are home either, so it’s not like my mom can help me.

I sit in front of my mirror observing the bird nest that I call my hair. I begin the process of curling my hair and it takes me a good hour to get it right. I then apply very light make-up which really means I just put on some mascara and lip gloss so I don’t look like a dehydrated zombie.

I glance at the clock on my dresser and realize that I’m running super late and quickly throw on a flannel sweater over my white camisole and pair it with my jeans and converse. As I exit my house I notice a car parked in front of it. I immediately think of Jeremy before that dream is crushed as I see Ashton’s head pop out the window.

“Get in loser, we’re going shopping” He yells back. Of course, only Ashton would quote Mean Girls so early in the morning.

“Since when did you have a car, why is the first time you’re picking me up” My voice is accusing as I ask him these questions.

“Chill out Emmy, I got it a few days ago” He rolls his eyes and I decide not to question him any further. The rest of the car ride to school is composed of the two of us belting out all kinds of songs and filled with laughter. We had French first period and I’m already feeling butterflies in my stomach.

Ashton pulls into the parking lot and as I unlock my door, he locks it again. This happens a few more times and I question his actions.

“I’m gay” He tells me in a slightly wavering voice.

“That’s nice, can I get out of the car now?”  I raise my eyebrows and motion towards the door.

“What?” He seems so confused it’s cute.

“I said that’s ni-“ I’m in the middle of repeating myself before he gives me a sharp flick on the head. Muttering a few colorful words I return the action and there we start a war inside of the car before Ash realizes that he’s off topic.

“Why aren’t you acting more surprised?” That confused look appears on his face once again and I have to refrain myself from pinching his cheeks.

“I don’t know really, you gave me a vibe” I laugh and assure him that it’s fine and that I don’t care if his gay or not, he’s still my best friend.

 “Since we’re secret spilling, I have to tell you something too” I decide that it’s now or never, time to tell him about Mr. Richards. He gives me a look that says spill before I muster up enough courage to speak.

“I like Jeremy” I state.

“You like who?” I knew he wouldn’t know who I was talking about but saying Mr. Richards felt weird.

“I like Mr. Richards”

“Our French teacher? Yeah he’s cool” He replies. He doesn’t understand what I mean.

“No I really like him”

“Well I rea-oh you like him” He exclaims and I wait for him to say something else. I blush and looks away before I proceed to tell him about that time in the music shop and that day it was raining. By the time I’m done talking he’s already squealing and mumbling something about an otp.

“So what’s your game plan?” He asks me.

“What?” I reply.

“How are you going to get your man?”

“So just to make sure, you don’t think this is creepy?” I ask him cautiously

“Well no I mean against some rules, but definitely not creepy, plus he’s hot” He winks at the end and lets me know he won’t steal him from me. I punch him in the shoulder and tell him to shut up before continuing the conversation.

“There is no plan” I look out the window and grow confused when I see that there isn’t anyone outside anymore. I look at the time on the clock and see that class started a good fifteen minutes ago. Ashton seems to realize at the same time as I do because before you know we’re both rushing inside the school.

After getting tardy slips, and luckily not detention, from the secretary we make our way to French class. Ashton kept nudging me and making several comments on “Mr. Hot Ass” the whole way to class, by the time we get there I’m sure I’m as red as a stop sign.

“Nice of you two to join us” A beautiful voice shuts Ashton and I right up. I notice how today he’s wearing a fitted stripped shirt and loose jeans, needless to say, he looks sexy.

“Sorry my uhm car broke down?” Even as Ashton says it, it sounds like a question. Suddenly, his arms wraps around my waist and pulls me near him. Surprise flashes on my face for a split second before I feel a pinch on my side and hear Ash carefully whisper just go with it.

Jeremy’s eyes trace Ashton’s arms to my waist and he looks almost disturbed. His jaw clenches and unclenches a few time for dismissing us to our seats.

“Did you see that? He was totally jealous” Ashton says as we sit at the front.

“No talking” Mr. Richards says sternly from his desk. I mumble an incoherent apology and spend the rest of the period passing notes with Ash. I’m very aware of Jeremy’s glances at me every now and then. He doesn’t seem too happy with me today and I’m starting to think that Ashton was a genius.

When the bell rings, signaling the end of the period, everyone goes to get up. Ashton, keeping up our little act, takes my hands in his and begins to walk out. If Ashton wasn’t gay, this would be totally awkward for us but thankfully it isn’t.

As we reach the door, we hear a clearing of a throat.

“Emberly, a word” My heart all but jumps out of my chest at the sudden demand.

Ashton kisses my cheek swiftly and says a quick ‘bye babe’ before running out. I can feel my face flush at the unexpected contact and the awkwardness of this whole thing.

“Yes?” I ask trying to keep my cool, something I see Jeremy is having a slight and barely noticeable problem with.

He seems at loss for words, almost like he doesn’t know why he called me in the first place.

“You seem to be having trouble in this class” he states but that couldn’t be right, I thought I was doing really well and it’s only been almost a month since school started.

“Really?” I question him, still doubtful

“You don’t seem to be concentrating in class” The way he says this makes me think of Ashton and I try my best to conceal my grin.

“I’m sorry uhm what do you suggest?” I ask.

“A tutor” I frown at his idea.

“I would like to tutor you.”

Oh, now him tutoring me is a completely different story.

 **************

I apologize for any mistakes I don't edit sorry and this chapter is a bit longer than the others I hope you guys like it xx ps. how her hair looks is on the side!

xxkelssxxx