5: Too Old to be Part of this S*it (Or, The Musings of an Unwilling Groom)

A/N: Dedicated to Nyghtfyre_Stars thank you so much ;-; 

____

Cambrian Mountains, near Mistward.

Border between Doranelle and Wendlyn.

Rowan

As he grew over the years from a young twenty-something fae to a centuries old warrior, Rowan found himself preferring fae women over mortals. It was really a natural progression of things. After all, eventually human women began to seem rather sickly and pathetic, with how fast they aged compared to the long-lived fae.

He wondered if Maeve knew that, when she selected this girl for him.

He watched Aelin as she led the two mares to a nearby stream at the foot of the hill, her head bowed. Her long golden hair was pulled into a thick braid down her back, swaying gently with every step she took. On another woman, he would have found it beautiful. On her, it was just irritating. Then Aelin bent over to pick up something she'd dropped and Rowan looked away. In another life, he thought, her ladies-in-waiting would have rushed to do that for her, because she'd be a princess.

She still was a Princess.

A Princess with the strongest claim to the throne of a broken country, still beloved by her people even after a decade. Conveniently related to the Queen of Doranelle. A Princess whose "mate" happened to be a Prince of Doranelle, and one of the most powerful fae males to exist. A Princess who'd spent her days training in the art of battle, who was so in need of an army to take back her throne.

A Princess who, if crowned, would become a fearsome Queen, eternally tied to Doranelle.

Rowan didn't know why Maeve hadn't come to the aid of Terrasen ten years ago, but he was under no delusions as to what she wanted now. And it would not be happening. He'd be staying right here, on this continent. He'd live out the rest of his days near the grave of his mate, not in a foreign country, ruling next to its idiot queen who'd married him only for power. 

The horses drank their fill, neighing happily as Aelin stroked her slender, scarred fingers through their manes. Rowan had snapped at her yesterday to shut up, and from this morning onwards, she hadn't spoken a word. Her eyes were even more blank and emotionless than usual. He'd felt a twinge of regret before remembering that regardless of how desperate Aelin was to save her kingdom, it did not justify the sacrilege of something as sacred as a mating bond.

Aelin slowly walked the horses back to where he'd laid out lunch, seeming set on avoiding him as she sat down to eat. Perhaps her new attitude was because she'd actually been feeling some remorse for her actions all along. Her face was set into a pitiful expression. Which was as it should be. She'd done something unforgivable.

The day moved on, Rowan pushing the mares hard so as to reach Mistward before nightfall. They had to take winding paths and absurdly long detours because of the monsters currently roaming around, which didn't help Rowan's souring mood any.

Rowan made sure to stay ahead of Aelin, both to lead the way and so that he wouldn't have to see her pathetic, empty expression. She never tried to catch up. Good. She was slowly learning that not everyone was stupid enough to fall for easily solved tricks. 

The lights of the fortress glittered at the top of the hill. Maeve was inside already, tugging at the blood oath to summon him. Rowan gritted his teeth and tried to make the tired mare go faster.

He was sure that Maeve had contacted Aelin before, offered her sweet words and promises to help her take back Terrasen. And then convinced her to go along with the charade of a mating bond for the good of her country. She'd done a similar thing to a poor, foreign princess once. The girl's kingdom was nothing but a memory now. Occasionally, Maeve went to the ruins for a summer retreat; she'd built a nice fae town there to go along with her summer mansion. 

Rowan hoped that this trip was the wake-up call the Princess behind him needed. Perhaps she'd finally realize that she was nothing but a pawn to Maeve, and her royal pride would be wounded enough to make her run away. If his plan went well, he'd finally he saved from being forced into a marriage. 

Aelin gave a small sneeze behind him, and Rowan twitched with irritation.

He dismounted, motioning for the princess to do the same. Then he led her through the ancient wards and the towering gates of Mistward.

A/N: A short chapter showing what Rowan's thinking. Kinda boring? idk but its important for plot reasons though so bear with me!

We've reached over 250 reads for this story, thank you so much for your support

Please vote and comment what you thought!